Saturday, November 23, 2013

REVIEW: Battling Waves

Battling Waves
By Jason Parent
Found in: Of Words and Water

I read Jason's novel, What Hides Within, and loved it.  It is by far one of my favorite reads this year and I highly recommend it to everyone who hasn't read it yet.  

When I found out that he had a short story out there, I had to go and search it out.  

I have not read the full book, but the few things I have read in it, including and especially his, have been really good and I definitely suggest that you find it - and give money.

Summary of the collection: Of Words and Water is a collection of water-themed works from authors around the globe, all of whom wish to contribute to WaterAid's invaluable efforts.  Our work is given freely: if you enjoy it please give generously to share the gift of clean water, the gift of life.

My thoughts

Jason's story was not what I expected at all, so different from the book.  Different, but still really good.  I think I described it to one person as "Absolutely amazing."

And it hit very close to home.  When I was younger, I almost drowned.  Not in an ocean, but at a water park.  His words were so real, so convincing.  I could feel what the character in the story was feeling and remembered having similar thoughts.  His words make you feel like you are really there.

I can't wait to see what more Jason has in store for us.  :)

No comments: