Thursday, November 21, 2013

REVIEW: Black Rum & Dynamite

Beatnik Spy #3:
Black Rum & Dynamite
By: Patrick Baird

Genre: Action & Adventure, Thriller
Year published: 2013
Pages: 151

Date read: 11/10/13
Recommended by: R2R

Summary: Havana, 1956.  Gunner Quinn is back on the CIA payroll, on the track of a mysterious gang of gun runners.  Are they funding a communist revolution or something far more sinister and deadly?  And who is the beautiful castaway, China Tampico?  From the jazz-fueled nightlife of pre-Castro Cuba, to dark backwaters where voodoo lurks, Black Rum & Dynamite sparkles with action, passion and history come to life.


My thoughts

This was my first read of the Beatnik Series and I really enjoyed it.  Even though I hadn't read the first two, the story was a fun read and I didn't feel like I was missing anything.  I can't wait to pick up more of the series.

It had lots of action, several unexpected twists and one HUGE one that completely through me off and, about halfway through, I was like "Wait!!  What?!?!  It can't be over yet!!" but seeing where I was on my Kindle, I was relieved to see that there was much more to go.  The second part was EVEN BETTER than the first.

I really liked the character of Quinn.  The FBI Agent (Fontana) might come off as a real douche at times, but he's endearing in his own special way.  El Rey Arana is one MESSED UP dude and ended up being a really great bad guy.

No comments: