Thursday, November 7, 2013

Fern Gully

I couldn't sleep last night and, while flipping channels, I came across the original Fern Gully on TV.  This has always been one of my favorite animated movies, even though it does make me sad.  Not only does it have Tim Curry (one of my all-time-favorite actors), but it has Batty Koda (who is awesome) voiced by Robin Williams.  

It reminded me of a few years ago when my sister, the THINGS and I visited a park outside of Houston that we went to several times a week.  There was a spot that we loved to visit - great hiking area, beautiful scenery.  That day, we walked from the playground area over there as we always do and found ... sadness.  They had cut down so many trees and there was just this mess of broken trees, sliced trunks, trash, etc all over the place.  It was horrible.  My nieces cried.  My sister and I both had tears in our eyes.  It.was.horrible.  

We spent a few hours exploring and even picked up some of the pieces to take home with us (we used them in some fun projects).  Even now, all these years later, thinking about it brings tears to my eyes and makes me shudder.

It was our own personal Fern Gully.

No comments: