Sunday, November 10, 2013

REVIEW: Hook

Hook
By Terry Brooks

Genre: Fantasy, Fairy Tale

Perfect reading for: Anyone who loves Peter Pan - a great chapter book to read to the kids

Year published: 1991
Pages: 275

Date read: The last time was June 2013

Summary: A sequel to J.M. Barrie's classic story Peter Pan by the author of Shannara.

Peter, now grown up, returns to London with his wife and two children.  During their visit to Wendy, the children disappear from the nursery and all that can be found is a cryptic note signed "James Hook, Captain."

My Thoughts

I am a huge fan of all fairy tales, but especially Peter Pan.  I actually found this book one day at Half Price Books - before I ever saw the movie (which I also liked, but I know some people who did not).

It became one of those books that I read every summer to my school-age daycare classes, followed by the movie, and then we would talk about which we liked more and why.  It actually surprised me the second summer to see how much the children who had been there the summer before and had already heard the story got excited to hear it again.  (To me, that shows how good the book is, especially when they would beg me to read more than the one chapter a day.)

This is the story of what happens after Peter Pan *gulps hard* grows up and what happens when Captain Hook comes back and kidnaps  his kids.  It is a lot of fun to read and the author does a great job describing everything, so much so that you can see it in your head as you're reading the story.  

No comments: