Thursday, November 21, 2013

REVIEW: Jack: The Tale of Frost

Jack: The Tale of Frost
The sequel to Claus: Legend of the Fat Man
By: Tony Bertauski

Genre: Adventure, thriller
Year published: 2013
Pages: 290

Date read: 11/16/13
Recommended by: R2R

Recommended to: People who love Christmas stories, especially ones that are different

Summary: Sura is sixteen years old when she meets Mr Frost.  He's very short and very fat and he likes his room very, very cold.  Some might say inhumanly cold.  His first name isn't Jack, she's told.  And that's all she needed to know.

Mr Frost's love for Christmas is over-the-top and slightly psychotic.  And why not?  He's made billions of dollars off the holiday he invented.  Or so he claims.  Rumor is he's an elven, but that's silly.  Elven aren't real.  And if they were, they wouldn't be living in South Carolina.  They wouldn't hide in a tower and go to the basement to make ... things.

Nonetheless, Sura will work for this odd little recluse.  Frost Plantation is where she'll meet the love of her life.  It's where she'll finally feel like she belongs somewhere.  And it's where she'll meet someone fatter, balder and stranger than Mr Frost.  It's where she'll meet Jack.

Jack hates Christmas.

My thoughts

Last Christmas I found Claus: Legend of the Fat man on Amazon, read it and loved it.  (If you haven't read it, you NEED to.)

In October, the author messaged me and asked me if I would be interested in reading the sequel to that story - a story about Jack.  Considering how I felt when I finished Claus (wanting to know more about the character of Jack), I could not pass up this opportunity.

When I was finally able to sit down and read the story, I could not put it down.  I would force myself to stay awake at night, wanting and needing to finish the story.

From the first page it draws you in.  And it was not what I expected.  None of it was.  It's Jack now, along with new characters and one particularly important character from the past.  A character that, without him, this story would have never been able to take place.

It was action packed, with moments that made you think, moments that made you care, moments that taught you about love and people and ... and it was amazing and beautiful ... and, though I didn't think it was possible, much better than the first.

And the ending ... Wow!  I mean, the whole ending felt that way but the very end, the last couple of paragraphs ... when I finished I literally sat there with my hand over my mouth just ... frozen.

Amazing.  And another must read.  I can't wait to see what happens in the third. 

My favorite line: "Claus should give out grades; let us know how we're doing.  Do I have a C or an A+?  How many good things do I  have left to do and how many points will I lose if I gong that old man in the back of the head?"

My second favorite line: "They're two pieces that fit perfectly together.  Two pieces that make each other whole.  Mr Frost senses their emotions, can almost taste their vivid colors with his mind's palette.  Sura is the promising yellow of daybreak.  Joe is the sultry red of a sunset.  And when they meet, when their energies collide, their colors mix to become something entirely different."

No comments: