Sunday, November 10, 2013

REVIEW: The Last Days of Krypton

The Last Days of Krypton
By: Kevin J Anderson

Genre: Action & Adventure, Movie Tie-Ins, Science Fiction, Fantasy

Perfect reading for: Anyone who is interested in comic book heroes, especially Superman

Year published: 2007
Pages: 436

Date read: September 2008, July 2013

Summary: The Last Days of Krypton is the epic story of the destruction of the planet Krypton, an explosive event that sent Superman and his legacy to Earth.  Written by award-winning science fiction author Kevin J Anderson, author of the international bestselling Dune prequels, The Last Days of Krypton tells of the marriage of Superman's parents, their struggle to save their planet and the menace of General Zod, future arch-enemy of Superman.  It's the story science fiction and Superman fans have been waiting for!

My Thoughts

This is another one of my "hurricane finds," this time during the evacuation of 2008.  My family and I were in the grocery store grabbing a few last minute items before heading out.  While my mom was in an extremely long line, she told my sister and I to go over and look at the books - and I came across this one.  

During our trip (a lot less traffic with this one than when I read Bombay Ice), I made myself comfortable and began this book ...

I have to say that I have always been a big superhero fan and one of my favorites has always been Superman.  I probably haven't read as many comics as I should have because there were questions that the movies left me with.  THIS BOOK cleared up those answers.  I wanted to know more about his parents, more about Zod and what made him tick, more about Krypton and the loss of it - and that is what this book is all about.

It is really intense and a lot of fun to read.  I will warn you, though - Zod is a jerk.  I say this because I have recommended this book to a couple of people and it always takes them forever to read because they can only take him in small lengths of time.  As a bad guy, though, he is really good - and the author did a tremendous describing him and making you hate him.  

Definitely one of my favorite books of all time and one that I will read again ... and again ... and again ...

No comments: