Saturday, December 28, 2013

REVIEW: Armored Hearts

Armored Hearts 1:
Armored Hearts
By: Pauline Creeden & Melissa Turner Lee

Genre: Steampunk, fantasy
Publication date: 11.26.2013
Pages: 268

Date read: 12.27.2013
Recommended by: Read 2 Review

Summary: When a crippled young lord rescues a girl falling from a tree, it reveals a secret about himself and his mother's side of the family that could put him at the center of a war with beings he thought only existed in fairy tales.

Tristan Gareth Smyth lived his entire life stuck at home at Waverly Park and left behind while his Grandfather makes trips to London, all because of his blasted wheelchair.

Then an American heiress falls in his lap, literally, and he must find a way to keep her at a distance to protect not only his secret, but everyone around him from an assassin sent to kill him.


My thoughts

I am a huge fan of steampunk and fantasy, so when it says that the story is both, I can't possibly say no.  And I'm glad that I didn't. 

This book is great from the beginning to end, well from the moment at the tree till the end (it's a little slow starting out, but I've been told that a little slow most always leads up to awesome ends).  It was so good, I had a hard time putting it down, you know, so I could sleep and stuff (:p), so good that I can't wait for book number two so that I can find out what happens.  Definitely a beyond fun book to read and one that I think everyone should give a try - especially if you are one that ... believes.


Favorite characters: Jessamine was one that I liked from the very beginning, though I couldn't place why I did - then, once you find out why, it's an ah-ha moment.  I also like Tabitha.  She's so good to Gareth (who is her nephew, but also younger than him), doesn't see his chair when she looks at him, plus is intelligent and witty and just fun to read about.  Gareth reminds me a lot of someone I know.

Favorite line: "I knew your surely attitude was like this armor, something to keep people from knowing who you really are.  Protection from getting hurt.  Only you don't need either with me."  

No comments: