Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Fave Four Reads of 2013

Everyone's doing there own lists so I decided, why not do one myself.  This started out as a Fave Five list, but there was a toss up between six different books for #5 haha, so I decided to go for the ones that COMPLETELY knocked my socks off.  

Here goes ...

What Hides Within by Jason Parent

This book has it all: sarcastic anti-hero (the kind you spend the whole book trying to figure out whether you want to hug him for being so real or punch him for the same reason), funny as hell doctors, annoying chick (that makes you thank God you're not THAT kind of gal), a roommate you're not so sure about, a mystery to solve and, yes, a spider - moments that make you laugh so hard you cry, creep you out beyond belief and a few where you stare at your Kindle (or whatever e-reader you use) and think "what the...?!?!"  And one of those endings that I love - that make you rethink everything you learned throughout the whole book.  Definitely a book you HAVE to read.  Not should - NEED.  :)


Grudge Punk by John McNee

I was super psyched to read this book and oh-my-God ... from the first page ... Not only did it introduce me to a new genre, but I will read anything this man writes.  It was THAT amazing.  His characters ... the city ... the way he writes and describes things ... the details he adds ... I don't even know what to say, but READ IT!! :)

 
Screamscapes: Tales of Terror by Evans Light 

This is a set of short stories (some longer than others) that are so good, I didn't want the book to end and have read every other short story he has produced.  They creep you out, make you think and end in ways you never expected.  If you have not read anything of Evans', you have got to start, right now, with this book.  When I picked this book up, I was pretty ticked off at "horror short stories" because some are just THAT bad, but he completely changed my mind about them.

Life After Dane by Edward Lorn

This book was really really good.  Sad, crazy, suspenseful, creepy - and a completely shocking and unexpected ending.  Plus I love the cover art.  He really has talent for making you believe in the "impossible" and has a real talent with words.

I look forward to reading some more from all four of these authors in 2014.  They are definitely authors to keep an eye on.

No comments: