Wednesday, December 18, 2013

REVIEW: Kissing Santa

Kissing Santa
By: Aithne Jarretta

Genre: Short story, Christmas, romance
Year published: 2011
Pages: 17

Date read: 12.14.2013

Summary: Lily Johnson, estranged from family, travels home for the Christmas holidays. She seeks mending of family arguments. There's also the potential reunion with an old flame.
The storm of the century hits the little community where Lily grew up. The severe snowfall creates deep worry over the fate of her one true love. 


Christopher Crin, all-American fireman, is well known for his holiday gift giving and spirit. He even bears the nickname 'Cringle' in his circle of friends. Everything Chris' comes into contact with has a magical outcome of purity and good. 


Temperature raging below zero strengthens Chris' determination to push through the storm and deliver Christmas gifts to the children. Ultimately, there's one special gift his heart desires to deliver.


Will Lily receive and accept?


My thoughts

Anyone who knows me knows my feelings on romance.  I have been told that my opinion is wrong and have had several books recommended to me - which I will get to, I promise :p - but until then, since the last Christmas romance short story didn't not kill me, I decided to try another

I feel like romance books and stories have a certain formula and that not many of them step away from that.  (I've read that there are specific rules for the genre.)  This formula leaves things pretty predictable, with an ending that always makes you feel all warm and toasty. Especially when it is winter holiday themed.

This one wasn't too bad.  SHE loves HIM and doesn't want to admit it.  SHE's even moved out of state to get away from HIM and her family.  SHE's happy in her new state, but misses HIM.  Then the mother guilt-trips her to come back home for the holidays and of course she goes. 

I loved her nephew and the bit with her, him in the window - it was cool and really sweet.  I wish they had explained HIM a little more instead of just skirting the whole magical-thing.  I am confused about the lily - read it, tell me what you think. 

The ending was syrupy sweet and cute, but I liked it.

Note: It is free on Amazon.


My favorite character: The nephew

My favorite line: "Lily, don't deny the chance for love.  You must face it and accept it whole heartedly in order for love to bloom."  (Her mom gives some great advice.  I wonder if she's adopting......)

No comments: