Monday, December 30, 2013

REVIEW: Midrealm

Midrealm
Realm Keepers, Book 1
By Garrett Robinson & ZC Bolger

Genre: YA, fantasy
Publication date: 12.22.2013
Pages: 546

Date read: 12.30.2013
Recommended by: Read 2 Review

Summary: Between Earth and Chaos, Six Children Battle For Our Survival

This is the full first volume of the Realm Keepers series, including Episodes 1-6 and the epic Book One Finale.

What if you and your friends went to another world every time you went to sleep?  What if you spent half your life here, in our world, and the other half battling for mankind’s survival against foes too terrible to be real?  And what if you could never tell anyone?

This is reality for the Realm Keepers: six ordinary kids thrust into a terrifying war in a universe called Midrealm - a universe that’s the only thing standing between our world and Chaos. Plucked from their ordinary lives and given extraordinary powers, they’re the only thing standing between us and an endless war that’s raged for millennia.

My thoughts

I knew reading the book description on this that it was my kind of book, but after reading the author's introduction, there was no doubt in my mind. :)

This book is great.

It is very rare that I read a book and just can't think of what to say about it.  Like, there's so much I want to say, but every time I write something I think it will give away too much.

I love the sarcasm and the fact that the teenagers, though given a "tough job" to do, are still teenagers, not quickly growing up, but instead slowly learning and even messing up while learning to work with their "skills" and work together.  I also like that each of them has their own skill to utilize and that each one is so different from the other.

I like that each part of the book is through the eyes of a different character and begin as a journal entry telling different parts of their tale - it allows you to learn more about he character then you would if it had been done third person or with only one person telling the story.  Being that it was a "journal-espque" entry, you learn more thoughts and feelings than they would have shared in a conversation with someone.

Chaos and the "bad guys" are really cool and the way the authors describe them is powerful.


Favorite character: My favorite character, by far, was Greystone.  His sarcasm and the way that he interacts with the children, the look described on his face, the fact that he's often thought to be saying a little prayer under his breath, just makes him, well, awesome.

Favorite line: There cannot be just one line in this book.  There are even more than what I will share now.  And most of them is out of the mouth of Greystone.

"Greystone looked like he was reciting some sort of very private and very urgent prayer for patience as he waited for us all to stop talking again."

"I have decided that I will be ignoring this one."

"'Did you already try casting spells at it?  Fire or earth or something?'
'No, I yelled at it to go away,' he said sarcastically.
'How about water?'
'Of course!  Dousing him wiht water will make him wet and angry!  Brilliant!'"

"'It's just me, not 'people.'  And I'm, like, a level two elementalist at best.  I'm a padawan, dude!'
'I don't understand what you're saying, and it makes me want to set you on fire,' said Greystone through gritted teeth.
'You always want to set people on fire!' I retorted."

No comments: