Sunday, December 22, 2013

REVIEW: The Heretic

The Templar Chronicles 1:
The Heretic
By: Joseph Nassise

Genre: Dark Fantasy, Paranormal
Publication date: 12.18.13 (Amazon)
Pages: 295

Date read: 12.19.13
Recommended by: Read 2 Review

Summary: Cade Williams was just an ordinary cop until the night he came face to face with a fallen angel known as the Adversary and nearly died.  Now he commands the Echo Team, a special ops squad of modern Templar knights, and the things they hunt are far darker and much more deadly than your average criminals.

When Templar bases are attacked by unknown foes, Cade and his team are called out to investigate. They discover a cabal of necromancers allied with the Adversary and are forced to take the battle to the enemy to keep them from stealing the power of an ancient relic for their own nefarious ends.

Vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord, but Cade's been known to bend a rule or two and right now he's got a score to settle...


My thoughts

Funny thing about this book.  I received it last week as an r2r and was so excited to receive this book - Knights Templar + Demons, I mean, how could I resist? - and when I went to Amazon today to add my review, I found out that I had already purchased this book (I had found it for free on Amazon at one point and grabbed it) and had completely forgotten that I had done so.  No wonder I was so excited haha.  This is actually the third book that I have done this to.  I guess that's proof positive that these books were books I would read even if I hadn't received them for free.

I really like the idea of a modern day Knights Templar and the story that went with it.  The characters were great - they were well-written and likeable, even when the people around them were afraid of them.  The Beyond was an interesting place that I hope to find out more about in the rest of the series.  The action was non-stop (one of the things I love about books like this) and the bad guys, the demons, the fog, the Revenants - impressive. 


Favorite characters: Cade & Duncan.  To be honest, at the beginning of the book, when Duncan was chosen randomly to be the fourth member of their squad, I really wasn't sure that I was going to like him.  But the way that him and Cade interacted, the trust and faith that Cade put into him, his abilities (and Cades, for that matter), I really began to like his character a lot.

Favorite lines: "Jassup watched in horror as the fog suddenly charged the gate.  He glimpsed an indistinct shape of horrendous proportions in its depths, then the bars of the gate were peeled apart to create an opening large enough for a man."  "Cade was just in time to witness the birth of a nightmare as it dragged itself through the gateway and into this world." 

No comments: