Monday, December 23, 2013

These are a few of my favorite things....

Christmas is one of my two favorite holidays of the year - when my birthday falls on Easter, then it's three favorite, but that's a whole other story haha.  

The memories, the traditions, the weather, the movies, the music,  the lights, the colors ... the red - and the green ... this is beginning to sound a little familiar ...

No matter how old I get, I never lose that feeling in my heart - the one that says that maybe, just maybe, Santa does exist; the one that reminds me how much more there is to Christmas than shopping and getting gifts.

This year has been different, though.  I feel like I have lost my Christmas spirit, no matter how hard I've tried to find it.  I've forgotten how to laugh, forgotten how to smile, forgotten how to enjoy myself.

I've done all the things that I usually do - decorate, bake, spend time outside in the cold, watch my favorite Christmas movies (and a few I've never seen before), listened to so much Christmas music that it's starting to make even ME sick (haha), read Christmas stories ... 

People forget what this holiday is really about.  No, I'm not going to go all religious on you right now and remind you who was born this day - I'm talking more about time with friends, family ... time dreaming and remembering ... 


So today I pulled out all the stops.  I've got one of the original Christmas Carol movies on my TV (Scrooge, 1935), yummy smelling (and tasting) goodies baking in my oven, all my Christmas lights on, even more Christmas decorations than I had before, the windows open (and yes it is brrrr chilly outside) ... and I'm looking at Christmas pictures that remind me of what I love and care about, what Christmas means to me.

If this stuff can't make me smile, I don't know what can ...

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

Andrew Leon said...

Did you check under your bed? Christmas spirits are partial to hiding under beds, so, maybe, that's where yours is. I bet it even ran off with some candy canes or something.

Meghan H said...

I found it ... with the help of Mickey, Donald and Goofy. :) (That darn Goofy made me cry.)