Thursday, January 30, 2014

REVIEW: Buried Secrets

Buried Secrets
By Gary Cecil

Genre: Horror, Short Story
Publication date: 1.3.2014
Pages: 22

Date read: 1.30.2014
Recommended by: Read 2 Review

Summary: Max and his wife, Megan, just moved into their new home. It's a charming Victorian, that did not come with the typical Victorian price tag. Sure, it needs some paint thrown on here and there, but soon--with a baby on the way--it will be the perfect home for their family.

Things quickly begin to change, though. They hear noises at night, and even feel things crawling in their sheets. But that's not the worst of it. There's a foul smell in the air sometimes, and something even fouler in the basement.

When the power goes out, Max goes into the basement to find the breaker, and what he finds, is something much worse.


My thoughts

(short story)

A few months ago (October of 2013 to be exact), I became very unhappy with short stories, especially ones that claimed to be horror.  Maybe I'm just desensitized to this sort of thing after all these years of watching and reading horror, but I just don't find a great majority of them scary.  I feel like it's false advertising when, in the book description, it says things like "spine-tingling horror tale" or claims it is the scariest thing you'll ever read.  I actually almost gave up altogether - and had a long list of authors to blame it on.  But, thankfully, I came across three authors who really know what they're doing when it comes to scary short stories (the Light Brothers and Rayne Hall - and now I can add in Edward Lorn as well).

When the chance to r2r this story came up, I read the book description and was very excited.  Not only did it use that "spine-tingling horror tale" line (I still have hope that one day that will be true), but it talked about being a combination of "horror and humor" - and at 22 pages, why would I not pick that up and give it a try?

It had a few creepy moments, I'll give it that.  The rat thing, yeah, so not cool.  The "Wait! What?" moment - the unexpected bit you get at the end of short stories right before it ends - it had that and I was a little shocked.  And uh ... well ... um ... yeah ... that's about it.  I didn't laugh once.  The book description talks about the basement, which gave him this whole other world to play with down there (I mean, basements are scary, just like attics are), but it fell short on all that.

To be honest, the author has a good idea here - and if he punched it up, gave some more descriptions and cut out that sex and washing her hair nonsense, which would have left more room for creepy/scary stuff, this could have been a good story.  I really hope he fixes it up and, if he does, I would be more than willing to read it again and update my review.

No comments: