Tuesday, January 21, 2014

REVIEW: Dinner for Two

Dinner for Two
By: Emily Porterfield

Genre: Women's Fiction, Romance
Publication date: 1.16.2014
Pages: 82

Date read: 1.21.2014
Recommended by: Emily Porterfield

Summary: Initial Impression Can Be Wrong...

Lucy is an elegant, snobby, food critic. Her palate is the most sophisticated, and unforgiving. Everyone wants their food to pass her approval. But not Russ. He is the newest sensation on the block, the farthest thing from refined… but oh, can he cook. Their attraction is electrifying but they are as different as night and day. Can Lucy and Russ find common ground to make it work?

Dinner for Two is a wonderful sweet (clean) contemporary romance with comedic elements - its has loads of fun moments.


My thoughts

A little over a week ago, I read another title by this author (Handle with Care) as a Read 2 Review.  When she contacted me to thank me, she asked me if I would be interested in reading this one as well.  Now, anyone who follows my reviews knows that I don't like romances.  I chose the last one because it was described as clean and was a short story.  Seeing that this one was as well (plus the fact that I enjoyed the last one) and seeing that one of the characters was a chef, I decided to give it a go.

I must say that, from the start, I didn't like Lucy.  I know that her job is to be that way (as a restaurant critic), but she was just too rude and abrupt for me.  And when she called Russ (the chef) rude and disrespectful, I laughed (and not like you do when you hear a really funny joke) and almost started yelling at her, even though she wasn't in the room with me.  I mean pot calling the kettle much?  But Russ seemed like an amazing guy with a lot of talent and, even though I couldn't understand what he saw in her, I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt.

The story is well written and you really get a feel for the characters, even if that feeling is you want to trip them down the stairs. :p  As the story progressed, I really got into the story and found myself hoping that things would come together because they both liked each other so much and, in the end, as all good romances do, well, just read it to find out what happens. :)

If you're looking for a romance that doesn't have all the sex, that has two people who are not perfect working together to be something more, then this is the story for you.  I highly recommend it and look forward to reading more by this author.

No comments: