Tuesday, January 14, 2014

REVIEW: Just Like a Musical

Just Like a Musical
By: Milena Veen

Genre: Literature & Fiction, YA
Publication date: 12.15.2013
Pages: 144

Date read: 1.13.2014
Recommended by: Read 2 Review

Summary: Seventeen-year-old Ruby Fields has always lived by the rules set up by her foolishly overprotective mother. As a result, she doesn't go to school, she's never been kissed, and almost everything she knows about life is what she has learned from old movies. 

But now there's this Joshua guy. He's quirky, and he's tall, and he uses "romantic" and "old-fashioned" in the same sentence.

And there's Mrs. Wheeler, an eccentric retired Hollywood costume designer and Ruby's new best friend.

When Mrs. Wheeler ends up in the hospital only a couple of days after telling Ruby her long-kept secret, Ruby decides to break her mother's rules and embark on a journey that will change her life forever.

This heartfelt story will appeal both to young readers and adults who still remember the pain and beauty of growing up.
My thoughts

This is a very sweet story, one that tears at your heart string and really teaches you a lesson - even if you're not a young adult.  And, to be honest, I love everything about this book, everything. 

I love the new neighbor who used to work in Hollywood and has all these awesome old dresses that belonged to movie stars long dead.  I love the main character who is so just plain off the wall, loves old movies, has her issues and is not afraid to share them, well, not really.  I love her super over-protective mom who cares about her daughter even if she does make a big deal about the small things.  I love the guy who has come into the main character's life.  I love the adventure that they go on to bring two people together, the adventure that brings "a clumsy girl with ginger hair and a guy with Tourette's Syndrome" together as well.

Definitely a good book - and one you should share with your older middle school and high school children.

Favorite character: Mrs Wheeler.  She is amazing.  I would have LOVED to have someone like her in my life when I was growing up, someone who wanted to be around me and understood me.  

I also liked the two main characters (Ruby and Joshua).  I just have a thing for the characters that are not perfect and to have a character with Tourette's is awesome.  (Anything to show kids that you shouldn't be afraid of people who have things like that, things they can't control, things that don't make them any less a person than children who don't.)

Favorite line: "I can't stand those people who accost you in the park, always trying to make you talk about the weather, or shoelaces, or cheese, or trumpets, or just anything."

"Sometimes my life turns into a musical.  The outside world just fades away, and the song starts playing in my head, sad and beautiful at the same time, and I sing along, and I dance inwardly until my inner feet start burning with pain.  Oh, how I dance with those gentlemen in dark suits and girls in pink dresses with ponytails and bright eyes!  The beginning of this secret musical usually follows the sound of my life cracking down.  And it always happens while I'm walking down the main street."

"I have always wanted to have a flask.  I would probably fill it with orange juice, though, but I have always thought it would be stylish to have one." <-- ME TOO!!!!!!!

"So what can you do in Elk City, Oklahoma ... Find a local weirdo.  Or wait at the gas station until he finds you."

"The night was warm and starry, and we were four hundred miles from home, joined in bravery and suspense.  But did he kiss me?  No.  He talked about mix tapes instead."

No comments: