Sunday, January 12, 2014

Kindle lesson learned ... the hard way

Dear Fellow Kindle Owners:

For any of you that are like me and add books to your Kindle manually - authors send me books for beta reads, editing and read 2 reviews; I've had friends gift me .epub books that I used Calibre to switch over; I've purchased a few books from Smashwords that were only available in .epub and had to switch them over myself - let me warn you now: those folders are all important.

I found this out the hard way.

Not important as in you'll lose everything if you delete them - just notes, highlights and bookmarks - and for me, this is very sad because I do a lot of that when I read a book.

This evening I purchased a book from Amazon and a few minutes later received an email saying that my Kindle was full to capacity.  I decided to hook it up to my computer and start moving things over.  I start with the folders of books that I read 2 review, then realized that the actual book was not in the folder.  I don't know why I decided that it would be ok for me to delete these, but I did - and when I went back to reading a book I am in the middle of, there is  no bookmark, no nothing.

I want to scream and cry.  I'm not mad at the Kindle or even at Amazon.  I'm mad at me.  I ignored that voice in the back of my head that was like "Wait a minute!  Are you sure you want to do this?"  (This is not the first time I've ignored and definitely not the first time that I wish I hadn't.)

So, my warning to you - if you don't want to lose things, make sure you know what you're deleting.

Sincerely,
I highly irritated Kindle user 

Update:
All is not lost!!  I have found most of what I'm looking for in "My Clippings."  I believe, though, and things may have changed since last I looked things up in this little gem, but they only keep x amount of what you highlighted or whatever in this from each book.  But so far everything is there from what I lost in at least the three books that I need to review.  Whew!

No comments: