Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Me and my reading

Dear readers,
I always love when people point out that I am a little all over the place when it comes to the things I read, so much so that you would be hard pressed to find one person who likes everything.  I also read really fast.  

So I thought, maybe I should do some explaining ...

I will read pretty much anything that looks interesting to me.  

I love information and, as with most women (I'm not a man and since they rarely let us into their heads, I can't speak for them), I am constantly thinking about ways that I can make myself better than I am (self-help).  I am also interested in what makes people tick (psychology), people's beliefs (religion), why people think the way they do and act the way they do (psychology and sociology), things that people have thought in the past (philosophy), the past in general (history), people (biographies) - I think you're getting my drift.

I have always loved cooking and baking - ever since I was really little - so I will read anything cooking and foodie related, including cookbooks (and, yes, from cover to cover, just like I would a novel).  The first cookbook I ever read was a Julia Child book.  I can't actually say "read" because, at the time, I really wasn't very good at it.  I remember taking the book off the shelf and hiding in a corner (so my sister couldn't find me and bug me) - I looked at all the pictures and did my best to read that blip that smart authors put underneath the name of the recipe.  When I was done with that one, I moved on to Justin Wilson and Jeff Smith.  When I got older, I was obsessed with Thomas Jefferson.  I did reports on him for school, read all about him, still to this day want to visit his old house and see the kitchens they've talked about in books ... I blame him and those three chefs for the fact that I went to school for culinary arts and want to eventually own my own restaurant/bakery.

Now we can move on to what I read "for fun" (I place those two words in quotes because, to me, all reading is fun, no matter what it is) - horror (the scarier, the better), mysteries, action, adventure, thrillers ... let's just say everything, except for romance (though I have been giving some clean ones a chance) and erotica.

So, yeah, as one friend said, I have an "eclectic taste."

Lately I've been doing quite a few r2rs (where the author gives a reviewer a free book in exchange for an honest review), which makes my "eclectic taste" even more so.  See, when someone asks, I have a hard time saying no, especially if it's something that I would have read anyways.  And some I would honestly probably not have picked up had it not been for someone asking me to.  That doesn't mean I don't enjoy it - to be honest, I've actually been really lucky with books lately and have only had a handful or two that I just didn't enjoy at all.  Pushing myself outside of my "comfort zone" has actually introduced me to some new favorite authors and added hours of enjoyment to my life.

So, yeah, I do read a lot and I do read a lot of crazy things, but in my way of thinking, it makes me much more interesting :)

So, go - take yourself out of your comfort zone a little bit and try something new.  You never know what will happen.  You may be like me and find new authors to love.

Happy reading,
Meghan :)

4 comments:

Andrew Leon said...

I just did a post kind of on this subject. heh

Meghan H said...

You know what they say about great minds :p I'll have to go check that out.

You should post a link so everyone who reads this knows where to look :)

Andrew Leon said...

One link:
http://indiewritersmonthly.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-asimov-genre.html

Meghan H said...

Thank you :)