Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Resolutions 2014





Resolutions and I are  not fans of each other.   It's like a hate-hate relationship.  I am all happy and excited when writing them, but (as with most everyone else on this planet) a couple of weeks into it, I have completely forgotten all about them - and later curse them out, which is why they don't like me very much.

This year I thought I would plan them out a bit - instead of just jotting them down quickly on the first of the year, hoping that they would be something I would stick with - though I would like to do things Calvin's way.  Eh, maybe next year. :p

While doing my "research" (it's a thing, deal with it), I found this and thought I'd share ...

A Resolve for Every Morning of the New Year
I will this day try to live a simple, sincere and serene life;
repelling promptly every thought of discontent, anxiety,
discouragement, impurity and self-seeking;
cultivating cheerfulness, magnanimity and charity;
exercising economy in expenditure, carefulness in conversation,
diligence in appointed service, fidelity to every trust
and a child-like trust in God.

So, my resolutions ...

1. Write every day!  Daily word goal: 500.  (I think I can do 500.  I probably write more than 500 in my messages to friends and I definitely write more than 500 in my journal, so why can't I write 500?  Exactly.  There is NO reason why I can't.)

2. Walk every morning.  Exercise every day.  (I love walking.  I will go for miles and feel SO great afterwards.  I get so many ideas and feel so refreshed.  I love listening to audiobooks or jamming to 80s music while working my arse off.)

3. Blog at LEAST once a week.  (This goes for all three, not just this one.  I get so busy with this one that I forget about the other two.  Time to change that.)

4. Be creative every day.  (I like to doodle.  I like to make things, especially out of recycled items.  I like to paint.  These are all things that I need to do again - instead of saying that I'm going to and putting it off.  I read an article awhile back that said that everyone needs hobbies and that we should schedule them into our lives, like business meetings, etc - the same thing you should do with exercising - so that you don't "avoid" time with yourself, give up time with yourself for other people.)

5. Go on more adventures.  (I have noticed that I spend a lot of time at home.  I work from here and, to be honest, there are times that I would much rather read a book then go out and do something.  That needs to change.  Even if it's just me totally utilizing my new Zoo membership  haha.)

6. Be more organized.  (This is probably hilarious to anyone who knows me well because I'm one of those super organized, OCD people.  One of those super organized, OCD people ... that procrastinates.  No more procrastinating.  I have purchased my new 2014 calendar and am scheduling things rather than just making lists of things that have to be done.)

7. Relax, enjoy myself, be playful and have fun.  (This is the positive way of saying "stop taking everything so personally."  It seems I have forgotten how to have fun lately.  I don't know if it's stress or what, but ugh, I hate being like this.  And finding out that someone very important to me feels like he has to censor himself so that a nuclear war doesn't happen really bothers me, especially since I didn't realize that I was this um nuclear.  This also means no more "overthinking," especially about stupid things, fretting over the small stuff.)

8. Be myself.  (When I was young - freshman year in high school, to be exact - I lost my father.  The day they buried him, they also buried him.  At a time when I was supposed to be figuring out who I was and what I stood for, I lost someone very important to me.  All these years later and I still haven't figured out who I am.  I'm tired of trying - and failing miserably at it - to be what everyone wants me to be.  I want to just be me.)
9. Release the past.  (This is something I really want to work on.  On daringtolivefully.com, Marelisa says: "Many of us are haunted by the ghosts of our past: that opportunity that we let slip by; those kids who bullied us in the playground; that love interest who treated us badly; the professor who graded us unfairly; and so on.  In order to be happy in the present, we each need to release the ghosts of the past."  Living in the present is something that I've been "wanting to do" for awhile - there are lots of things that have hurt me in my life, a lot of things that I'm still angry about, and I need to let go so that I can stop doing the things mentioned in #7 and actually accomplish that resolution.  I'll be blogging more about this on My Pathway to Liberation over the next couple of days.)

What are  your Resolutions for 2014?  Are you one of those people that sticks to them throughout the whole year or one that quits after a few days/weeks/months?  What are you going to do differently this year?


Do not go gentle into the good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

~Dylan Thomas, In Country Sleep & Other Poems

No comments: