Wednesday, January 29, 2014

REVIEW: The Apocalyptic Alphabet

The Apocalyptic Alphabet
By: Robert Uy

Genre: Children's books, Zombies
Publication date: 12.31.2013
Pages: Approximately 31

Date read: 1.29.2014

Summary: From A is for Ammo, to E is for Evacuate, to V is for Vaccine, a zombie apocalypse has never been illustrated before in such a fun and imaginative way.

"The Apocalyptic Alphabet" is a creative ride through the apocalypse. Readers will learn about the tools, social conventions, signs and concepts needed to survive in a post-apocalyptic world.

With hand-drawn digital illustrations, "The Apocalyptic Alphabet" brings a whole new way to learn about the alphabet and survival during the end times.


My thoughts

To be honest, I was rather disappointed in this book ... and I had such high hopes for it when I found it for free earlier this week.  (Especially after the two 5 star and two 4 star reviews on Amazon.)  I mean, what kid these days doesn't have a fascination with zombies?  None that I know. 

The first page of the story says that it may not be intended for young children, but it's a book teaching the alphabet - and if it was intended for adults, it's worse than I thought.

When I read kids' books, I try to look at it from both the adult reading it's point of view and the kids' point of view - and both ways I didn't really find it entertaining at all.  And the rhyming seemed awkward for several of the letters.

I give the guy kudos for giving this a try, but I just feel he fell sort of short.

I do want to say that the sign for the letter R was pretty funny (Where can I purchase one of those? :p).

No comments: