Thursday, January 30, 2014

REVIEW: The Halloween Curse

Boo 1:
The Halloween Curse
By MR James

Genre: Halloween, YA
Publication date: 10.10.2013
Pages: 173

Date read: 1.30.2014
Recommended by: Read 2 Review

Summary: Billy and Amanda Walker aren't too sure about the new shop that just opened up in their small town of Boo, Pennsylvania. They're even more unsure of the shop's owner. A tall, spooky looking man who goes by the name of Mr. Night.

When pumpkins mysteriously begin attacking people and children go missing, Billy and Amanda are positive it's tied to Mr. Night and his new antique bookstore that's filled with strange spell books and spiders. Unfortunately, no one will believe them.

With Halloween threatened and the lives of their friends in danger, it's up to Billy and Amanda to figure out what's going on, and save their favorite holiday before it's too late.


My thoughts

This was a really enjoyable YA Halloween tale (Amazon puts the ages as 8-12).  Amanda and her brother Billy have quite an adventure trying to find out what is going on in their town, taking on a lot for two young kids, especially since their parents won't believe them and they have no one else to go to. 

It was fun, the characters are well-written, the mystery is engaging and what kids don't like Halloween?!  Plus they learn a very important lesson in the end. 

Definitely a book I would suggest reading with the young ones in your life.  I think I know what I'll be sharing with the ones in my life next Halloween. :)


I can't wait to read more of this series and I hope that we see some of these characters again.

Favorite character: I really liked Mr Night.  He was different and scary ... and intriguing.  I wanted to know more about him.

No comments: