Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Awesome authors - Dominique Wilkins

There are good authors and bad authors.  I don't mean ones that write well and ones that don't write well, but ones that are awesome and respectful and just great people ... and ones that obviously had no home training.

I'm thankful that I have only had to deal with two of the latter - and that was early on in my attempt at writing good reviews (back in March of last year) - and, hearing other people's horror stories, mine was really nothing.  But, with so many people talking about bad authors these days, I thought I'd make a point to talk about good ones.

Now, I have several authors who I consider friends, on one level or another.  I'm not talking about them.  They already know they're awesome cause I tell 'em all the time (don't I, E? :p).

Today I'm going to talk about Dominique Wilkins.
Dominique Wilkins is a licensed cosmetologist and married mother of five children who writes short stories everyone can relate to.  In a time when crime is high, morale is low, and drama is everywhere, Dominique writes to encourage her readers and provide them with resources to keep them going and encouraged.  Enjoy real stories about bad parents; jealous neighbors; backstabbing friends; cheaters and more.  Transferring a decade of emotional support and encouragement from the beauty shop to the pages, these stories are written with biblical messages intermingled for the reader to refer back to or research for more healing on their particular need directly from The Bible.
Dominique believes that we often cannot solve our own problems, but maybe, when they're put into a story in someone else's shoes, they can hen be seen and understood more easily. 
I met Dominique after reading and reviewing one of her books for a website that I frequent.  I think she's a good writer, though I didn't much care for the main character - but then I wasn't supposed to either.  She was a mean high school kid that was downright vicious to someone with no cause and I really disliked her - which shows how good Dominique is at writing her characters.  I felt sorry for the other girl and kept waiting for the other girl to stand up for herself, call the main character out on her behavior, but even years later she kept her mouth shut and was very nice.

Through this website, I won a copy of this book and, when Dominique contacted me, she asked if I would be interested in trying something else of her's.  She gave me a list of books to choose from and I told her three that sounded interesting to me and asked her to make the decision.

When I received the package, I was really surprised.  Along with the copy of the book was some "author swag" (I think stuff like that is cool - the bookmarks and pens and stuff) and a beautiful handwritten letter thanking me for reading and writing the review.  I showed my mother and both of us were moved by how sweet she was.





A few weeks later, I saw on that website that she and another author had worked together to write a relationship book - she wrote the short stories and the other lady talked of ways to fix the problem.  I grabbed the book up - read it in one sitting and wrote another review.  After how nice she had been, how could I not give her another try.

Today I received another package in the mail - another package from Dominique.  This time I honestly had no idea one was coming.  I opened the package and inside was another sweet letter from her telling me that, as a thank you for taking another chance on her and writing such a great review, she sent me another book, one of the ones from the list of three.  I was so surprised - I mean, this kind of stuff really makes a book lover's day - and the personal note is something I will treasure forever.



So, there's my awesome author story of the day (and I plan on sharing more in the future because I know quite a few awesome authors). :D

Do YOU know an awesome author or have an awesome author story?  Please share in the comments and let us all know how great they are. :D

2 comments:

Dominique Wilkins said...

Meghan I remember when you left your honest review for Drinking the Poison and Waiting on Your Neighbor to Die and I felt your distaste for that character and was so glad to see such an honest and heartfelt review! It made my day and I was so glad to see you gave me another chance- it felt like Christmas all over again! Thank you so much for your genuineness and passion, I pray I win you over for life, then find a colony full of your clones! You've truly made my day/year!!

Meghan H said...

It seems we both made each other's days - and I can't wait to read this one too :D