Wednesday, February 5, 2014

REVIEW: Evensong

Meratis Trilogy 1:
Evensong
By: Krista Walsh

Genre: Fantasy, Sword & Sorcery
Publication date: 1.28.2014
Release date: 2.10.2014
Pages: 283

Date read: 2.4.2014
Recommended by: Read 2 Review

Summary: Author Jeff Powell wakes up to find the impossible has happened. He is within his own novel—summoned into the fictional world of Feldall’s Keep by a spell he didn't write. One the House enchantress hasn't figured out how to reverse.

When the villain he's been struggling to write reveals himself, unleashing waves of terror and chaos, Jeff must use more than his imagination to save the characters he created—and the woman he loves.

Trapped within a world of his own creation, he must step outside the bounds of his narrative to help his characters defeat an evil no one anticipated, even if he must sacrifice his greatest gift. In the end, he has to ask: are novels really fiction, or windows into other worlds?


My thoughts

I won a book that the author was part of on BookLikes.  After receiving the copy, her and I ended up in a conversation ... and I walked away with this book as well.  (No, I did not talk to her just for a free book, but being a book-ish blogger and an avid reader, when someone offers me a book, I always accept the offer.)

I have always wondered, in the back of my mind, while reading a book, what would happen if an author got pulled into their own story somehow.  How would they fare in the land they created, with the characters they created?  How would those characters feel about them?  Would things be the same as they wrote or different?  Would there be secrets that even the author didn't know, things that happened when he/she wasn't writing?  Would he want to stay or try his hardest to leave?  Could the characters take advantage of the fact that the author is there in front of them?  Would they come home and change everything?  And the biggest question of all - how would the time spent their affect them?

THIS is that story - and more.  It is very well written and thought out, includes those twists and turns that I love in a story AND, even better, things that are believed to be one way that turn out to be another.  It even includes dragons, sorcerers, magic - the battle of good and evil (I always love those) - and a pretty awesome horse.  The anticipation and emotion throughout this whole story was just wow.  Until the very last page.  I couldn't put the book down, no matter how hard I tried.  I can't wait until book 2 is out so I can pick it up.


Favorite character: This is usually very easy for me, but in this book, I honestly can't pick a character that I didn't like, including the bad guy (well, maybe not liked, but you know what I mean).  Because of the way it was written, I became emotionally attached to each and every one of them.

Favorite line: "No library belonged to the person standing in it - the room belonged only to the books."

And, as usual in the books I've been picking lately, a line that made me really think: "Are you too buried in your books to care about anyone?  Or is it the other way around - do you care too much for someone you don't feel you can have so you bury yourself in books?" 

Amazon link: Meratis Trilogy 1: Evensong

2 comments:

Krista Walsh said...

Thank you so much for reading & posting! So so so happy Evensong entertained!

Meghan H said...

It definitely did. My favorite so far this year :)