Wednesday, February 12, 2014

REVIEW: Kentucky Curdled

Kentucky Curdled
By: Tamara J Madison

Genre: Poetry, Essays
Publication date: 10.3.2013
Pages: 73
Amazon link: Kentucky Curdled 

Date read: 2.12.2014
Recommended by: Read 2 Review

Summary: Kentucky Curdled is a haunting poetic sequence unveiling a tragic story in a small, rural community. Each of the persona poems reflects on the strange death of a young community member.

The timely story boldly raises questions about how to make peace in times of senseless violence without the luxury of answers and justice.

Rich with rhythm, imagery, and colorful characters, Kentucky Curdled is a blend of verse and storytelling making it engaging for both poetry and fiction readers. The author includes an essay sharing her creative process and reflections about this project.


My thoughts

one thang Rachel taught me
love can be a killin thang
can knot itself all up
swallow itself and take anybody
anything with it

I have been on this poetry and essay kick lately.  Ever since I started posting some of my stuff on one of my blogs, I have found it interesting to see what others do and will pick up anything that looks interesting.  When I came across this one needing a reviewer, I grabbed it up.

I have to say, this was really interesting.  The continuing story of Rachel throughout was sad, but very interestingly done - loved the different perspectives.

The essay at the end - her reasoning behind the poetry, her thoughts and opinions on it, the motivation, the process - took this book from a good little book of connected poems with lots of feelings to an ever better book.  When I completed the essay, I went back and read the poems again and they just meant so much more.


Favorite lines:
"Little did I know, the greatest gift I would give and receive was the discovery of power in peace through the sacred space of pen, paper and poetry."

"I am fully aware that hatred and fear can spawn horrific behavior in humankind.  I am also aware that the most heinous acts are never simply that right and wrong, black and white.  We often shy away from the 'gray areas' because they are agonizing and overwhelming."

No comments: