Monday, February 10, 2014

REVIEW: Pierced

Pierced 1:
Pierced
By JC Mells

Genre: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance
Publication date: 12.2.2013
Pages: 273

Date read: 2.10.2014
Recommended by: Read 2 Review

Summary: Imagine the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo meets Betty Crocker.  That's Pierce in a nutshell.

Pierce has been on the run for two years from the man who held her captive in a vampire compound for almost a decade. Life on the run would be a lot simpler if she didn't suffer from several social disorders and 'quirks,' have a ten-year-old brat in tow, as well as have two characters from a 1945 classic film living in her head and guiding her at every turn.

My thoughts

I loved this book.  I know, I know - I say that a lot - I can't help that I have really good luck picking books haha.

The story line has its moments (a few) where I'm kinda waiting for something to happen BUT the characters are wicked cool.  The real ones, the imaginary ones, the good ones and the bad ones - the characters really make this story and have made me want to continue on with the rest of the series to see what happens.  Being able to see both the real world and what goes on inside the main character's mind is just amazing and fun and, well, she thinks like me on a lot of points, which made things even cooler.  Finding out along the way what made each one of these characters into the people that they are now was also cool and I hope that the author expands on some of the "lesser known" ones in the next books.  Definitely a fun and easy read.

There's a funny story about this book.  I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.  Nothing really funny about that, but read on.  What happened is: I failed to remember, when I agreed to read this story is that I ... already owned it.  All I can say is that I probably found it for free on one of those websites that let you know when Amazon has things for free, thought it sounded awesome, downloaded it onto my Cloud ... and got so busy with other reads that I forgot about it.  Goes to show, for anyone who was curious after seeing how many of these r2rs I actually do, that the books I agree to read are ones that I would have read without anyone handing me the book and asking me to do so.  (There's actually been 5 such things - 3 books that I already owned, 2 that I owned the rest of the series.) 


Favorite characters: Without a doubt, they would Pierce (and the ladies), Mia, Nap and Mr Pink (aka Balak).

Favorite part of the story: There were many, but the part that comes to mind now is where they're in the car discussing Nowhere, Nevada.  It makes me laugh just thinking about it.

Favorite line: "Would anyone really care that I have two characters from a 1945 classic black and white film masterpiece talking to me in my head and guiding me at every turn?  I mean with all the other stuff I have going on with me on a daily basis, does it really matter in the bigger scheme of things that I chat with two fictional movie characters from time to time?  I didn't think so."

No comments: