Sunday, February 16, 2014

REVIEW: The Kota

The Kota Series 1:
The Kota
By: Sunshine Somerville

Genre: Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Adventure, Dystopian
Publication date: 9.8.2013
Pages: 596
Amazon link: The Kota 

Date read: 2.15.2014
Recommended by: Read 2 Review

Summary: The future is an ugly place, but we are not left without hope. Still, what is a dystopian world supposed to make of ancient Kota prophecies, Warrior children, swirling Signals, time-traveling Bearers, and an inescapable Virus? 

For Trok, these Kota prophecies mean little until the day comes when he is called to be the Marked Warriors' guardian. With Trok's guidance, these four Warriors with hyper-natural mutate-genes must answer destiny's call to fight the Dominion, a global tyranny controlling the deadly DRK virus. 

Watching through time, Trok sees the bigger purpose behind all that happens, but how everything comes together surprises even him.

My thoughts

I really got into this story, from the very first pages.  Something about the writing just kept me going.  Now, I go back and forth on this whole 1st Person Thing.  For the most part, I just don't like it - it's uncomfortable to me - and I want to know more than what the character who is telling the story knows (and sometimes it's not done properly, where the story teller can't possibly know what they are sharing), but Sunshine did a good job with it.  I actually felt like she was telling me a story in a letter, not like I was ease-dropping on someone's conversation or, worse, reading someone's private journals.

The plot, the adventure, the unexpected twists and the brothers - all things about this book that I liked and I've already purchased book #2 so I can finish the story.

2 comments:

Sunshine Somerville said...

Thanks! :)

Meghan H said...

Thank you for writing such an enjoyable story :)