Wednesday, February 12, 2014

REVIEW: Today Is Too Late

The Shedim Rebellion 1:
Today Is Too Late
By: Burke Fitzpatrick

Genre: Dark Fantasy, Sword & Sorcery
Publication date: 10.6.2013
Pages: 313
Amazon link: Today Is Too Late 

Date read: 2.12.2014
Recommended by: Read 2 Review

Summary: A girl is born who might alter the history of the world but only if a fearsome warrior protects her from the demons of the Nine Hells. Tyrus of Kelnor, an infamous warlord, helped the demons conquer a continent but refuses to give them the empire's newborn heir. Running from the empire's dark sorcerers and monstrous war beasts, his only hope is to deliver the child to his mortal enemies.

TODAY IS TOO LATE is a page-turning fantasy that reinvents errant knights and dark sorcerers but also asks serious questions about the seduction of evil and the struggle for redemption.


My thoughts

Last night, I found myself in a conversation on Facebook with a fellow book blogger (and a few other reviewers) about the way we rate books.  I am kind of free with my 4 and 5 star ratings and I've been feeling lately like maybe I should think about this a little bit before I do my review instead of picking my rating by how I feel at the end of the book - but, then again, isn't that what I'm rating, the how I feel at the end of the book?  Since I began this whole reviewing thing (back in March of last year), there have been quite a few 4s and 5s (after all these years of reading, I'm just good at picking books that I like) and a handful that if I could rate higher than 5, I would.  THIS BOOK is one of them.

I have looked forward to writing this review since I was THREE pages into it, but it had my attention way before that.

The cover ... is AMAZING!  (And I just looked at the cover of book 2 - wow!)  It is what immediately drew me to this book.  I'll be honest, I didn't even read the description - just looked at the cover and the genre.  When you open the book on the Kindle (and go back to the cover - for some reason it does not open there immediately,) there is a map - I like maps, especially when there are a lot of lands being spoken of - really helps you see where everything is located.  The character descriptions, scenery, magic, battles - all very well written.  The hint of history and religion set in a different world caught and kept my attention.  The storyline is exciting and dramatic.  Azmon - like one of the best bad guys I've ever read about.  I was truly impressed and I can't wait to get my hands on #2.  


Favorite characters: Definitely Azmon (he really was evil) and Tyrus (a great character).

No comments: