Wednesday, March 19, 2014

REVIEW: Grimm Fairy Tales: Oz

Grimm Fairy Tales: Oz
By: Joe Brusha

Genre: Graphic novel, Fantasy, Oz
Publication date: 3.18.2014
Pages: 156
Amazon link: Grimm Fairy Tales: Oz 

Date read: 3.16.2014
Recommended by: Read 2 Review (NetGalley)

Summary: The world faces a gathering storm that threatens to drown it in darkness. The only hope to stop the coming evil rests on an unlikely hero: a Kansas farm girl named Dorothy Gale. Unbeknownst to Dorothy, highborn blood flows through her veins and with it, the power to save Earth and the realms of power that surround it. But Dorothy must first learn to use her unharnessed abilities before the witches of Oz destroy her and everyone else that stands in their way. Zenescope Entertainment presents another incredible tale of adventure and fantasy with this mesmerizing and epic re-imagining of a classic!

My thoughts

A friend of mine reviewed this on BookLikes, which is what originally brought this to my attention.  I love the cover, even though Dorothy is dressed like Daisy Duke.  Even though the friend wasn't absolutely in love with this book, I had to search it out and give it a try.  I mean, I am obsessed with anything Oz, so how could I pass this up?

There's been a lot of re-tellings of famous fairy tales, including Oz and it's inhabitants, and I liked this one.  It was different.  I liked the way that the characters were portrayed, the quest they had to go on in order to defeat the witch, the trickery (a "bad guy" being in the midst), and the fight scenes.  I, however, think I could have lived a lot longer without seeing so many shots of Dorothy's panties, the fact that I feel Dorothy was completely dumbed down in the beginning (was I the only one that noticed the door would not open because she had her feet on it?), and I know it's a thing in graphic novels, but what is with the women all dressed really provocatively (but then there is some eye candy for the ladies - the lion and other characters are rather ripped).  I think the artwork is beautiful and I really liked the "end" to the witch in this version.

If you're like me and love anything Oz, you should check this out.  But don't say I didn't tell you so on the outfits.


Favorite line: "You may win the battle, but your evil will never endure.  There's too much hope and good in the world." ~Dorothy

2 comments:

Diego Martin said...

loved the suggested reading; loved the summary. I love anything Oz and will be checking it soon!! thanks my friend!

Meghan H said...

Cool. I actually have three more Oz books coming soon - one I'm reading now (Bewitched in Oz) and two more (part of a series) that I will be starting soon. I hope you enjoy this one :)