Thursday, April 17, 2014

REVIEW: Bewitched in Oz

Bewitched in Oz
By: Laura J Burns

Genre: YA, Adventure, Oz
Publication date: Not until 8.1.2014
Pages: 258
Amazon link:  Bewitched in Oz

Date read: 4.11.2014
Recommended by: NetGalley (Read 2 Review)

Summary: When Zerie Greenapple's friend is arrested for using her magic, she knows she must do everything she can to protect her own magic...even if it means traversing the dangerous landscapes of Oz and encountering strange creatures along the way. Zerie and two friends set out to find Glinda the Good, in the hope that she can help them defeat the evil Princess Ozma. But what they experience on their journey might just tear them apart. Will magic be enough to save these three friends?

My thoughts

When I found this book on NetGalley, I became super excited - I mean, it's a book set in Oz - how could I not want to read this?  Then I saw some of the reviews on a few book social networks and it made me sad - a couple of people disliked it so much that they gave it a 1 star.  Well, I completely disagree. 

This book was so much fun and, yeah, it was written for younger people, but that was part of what was so much fun about it.  I really enjoyed the adventure they undertook and the people they met along the way.  And, as usual with Oz books, there are some lessons learned, some things that happen that make the characters rethink actions they had taken.  To be honest, the adventures and plot twists made this story even more exciting than I had expected (after reading those reviews).  And you'll never believe who the "bad guy" turns out to be.  But it leaves you wanting so much more, sets it up nicely for a second book with its nod at adventures yet to come.  I can't wait!!


Favorite character: The Glass Cat :)

Favorite part: The conversation between Zerie and Brink in the Tilted Forest.

Favorite line: "I beg you pardon.  I am nobody's cat.  Except my own, of course.  Cats belong to themselves." ~Glass Cat

No comments: