Tuesday, April 1, 2014

REVIEW: Discovering Aberration

Discovering Aberration
By: S.C. Barrus

Genre: Fantasy, Historical, Steampunk, Adventure
Publication date: 2.17.2014
Pages: 426
Amazon link: Discovering Aberration 

Date read: 4.1.2014
Recommended by: Read 2 Review

Summary: An ancient map stolen. A lost civilization discovered. A terrible secret unleashed.

Set in an alternate Victorian era, Discovering Aberration follows Freddy Fitzgerald, a rebellious writer and ex-scuttler, and Thaddeus Lumpen, a desperate archaeologist with a slew of dangerous rivals. Together they will stop at nothing to make the discovery of a lifetime. But their island destination hides it’s own dark secrets which can push even the strongest minds into madness. 


My thoughts

For any of you who follow my blogs regularly, you'll know that most of the time there is a certain protocol to the way I pick out books.  Now, sometimes I do stray from this, especially if it comes to a genre I'm not sure of, but mostly it's: cover, genre, description, star rating, and then, if I am curious or have questions, I will read the reviews.

With this book, the cover instantly caught my attention.  And the fact that it's labeled a "steampunk adventure," well, I didn't have to go any further than that.  (I love steampunk adventures and will read any I get my hands on.)  I did read the description on this one - stolen map, lost civilization, terrible secret ... "dark secrets which can push even the strongest minds into madness."  This book sounded like a real winner and I couldn't wait to sit down and read it.

I WANTED to love this book - and there were parts that I did - but at the same time, it was highly disappointing. 

What I liked: 
 
  • The way it was written - like you were scrounging around in your grandparents' attic and found an old trunk with a really old journal inside, a journal that tells the tale of a great adventure.
  • The characters - Lumpen, Fitzgerald and Old Chap (especially Old chap) were interesting characters and I enjoyed finding out about them and the others as we moved on throughout the telling of the story.
  • The secrets and mystery to it all - fun and intriguing.

What I didn't like:
  • There were MANY moments where I was SO bored - now, I have this problem sometimes during adventure books, during those slow moments, but there were a lot more slow moments than I ever expected - in fact, almost the whole first part of the story is one giant slow moment, including stories you would expect not to feel slow.  I grew discouraged with this and put the book down several times before picking it up once again yesterday and forcing my way through the rest of it. 

No comments: