Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Dumah's Demons Blog Tour - Double Review


I follow Ami Blackwelder's blog and, when I saw that she was looking for reviewers for a few of her books, I jumped at the chance, especially having already purchased two of her books - something about them just catches my eye.  After much discussion, we ended up deciding that I would be part of her THREE upcoming Blog Tours - sort of a PRE-Blog Tour, if you will.  

The first one is for Dumah's Demons.  Dumah's Demons is a short story that accompanies the three other books in her Angelfire Chronicles series.

Angelfire Chronicles 1:
She Speaks to Angels
By: Ami Blackwelder

Genre: YA, Fantasy, Thriller
Publication date: 12.21.2013
Pages: 244
Amazon link:  She Speaks to Angels

Date read: 4.8.2014
Recommended by: Read 2 Review

Summary: "I tried not to sound hysterical, but it's not every day you find out the paranormal is hunting you."

What if everything you believed was a lie?

A Suicide

Seventeen year old Allison Maney attends Millennium High School in Manhattan.  Nothing out of the ordinary, unless you consider the occasional suicides at the school.  At least that is what everyone is told, what everyone believes.  But Tommy Bachelor was a popular football player; why would he jump off the roof of the school?

Dangerous Liaisons

When Dameon pays attention to Ali, she couldn't be more excited, because for the past three months he was all she could think about.  But now that Dameon is finally pining for her affections, she is becoming more and more wrapped up in a clique of three who, as new transfers to the school, are proving to be trouble.  But at least Dameon loves her, doesn't he?

A Soul Purpose

The underworld of angels and demons have one thing on their mind: Earth.  Demons want to do what they want.  Angels want to protect humans from these rogue angels, AKA: Demons.

A Suspenseful Romance

Caught between Dameon and Kian, the suicide and the clique of three, Ali won't know who to trust ... or who to love, because for Allison Maney, everything is not exactly what it seems.

My thoughts

I liked this book.  The storyline was unique and I liked the mystery that was mixed into the beginning of the story.  I like the chances that her and her friends take to figure out what is going on, especially when they think that something just isn't right.  I liked the unexpected twists and turns that happen throughout the book.

But...

This is a YA book and I highly enjoy this genre, but (there's that but again) I was not a typical high school kid, I guess, because some of the things, like always wanting to be kissed (and thinking about how attracted to someone she is - ok, we get it!!), the lack of concentration on important topics, the childish behavior between best friends, and love triangles are all completely alien to me.  (I don't even remember my friends being that way and probably would have stopped being friends with them if this was the way they acted.)  Talking this out with my mom, she says I can't hate the book because of that stuff - and I agree - but I can write in my review that I disliked all of that malarky.  The rest of the story does make up for it, though.  The adventure kept me reading and will keep me reading the rest of the series.

I do want to point out that, at the end of the book, she includes "Discussion Questions."  I actually think that authors who write for this age group should utilize this tool to help with recalling what they read and she did a good job with them.  

(Note: There are some editing issues, which I brought to the attention of the the author.)


Angelfire Chronicles:
Dumah's Demons
By: Ami Blackwelder

Genre: YA, Fantasy, Thriller
Publication date: 3.2.2014
Pages: 40
Amazon link: Dumah's Demons

Date read: 4.9.2014
Recommended by: Read 2 Review

Summary: The story of Dumah, Kian’s sister and how she becomes a Dark Angel. The reader will better understand Dameon and Kian through this story which is told through the eyes of Dumah.

Follow her story as she and Kian fight to survive on the streets of Manhattan and see how one event changes both of their lives forever, driving her toward darkness of the Dark Angels and Kian toward the AngelFire protectors.


My thoughts

Dumah's Demons is an "accompaniment" book to She Speaks to Angels.  If you're reading the series, this is a short story I would suggest reading between book 1 and book 2 (which is supposed to be coming out this month).  

I really liked this story.  It is sort of a backstory of Dameon, explaining the issues between him and Kian a little better, and also showing you what he's up to when he's not at school.  It also introduces you to Dumah, a character that will be introduced in book 2.  Basically, it answers a lot of the questions that I had while reading book 1.  And she does a great job doing so.

1 comment:

"Writing is my Drug. A fixed Addiction." said...

Thanks for having me and enjoy Zombie Housewives and Midnight!