Thursday, April 24, 2014

The Landfill Blog Tour - Interview


Today I have the pleasure of welcoming Kevin Hopson to The Gal.  He is full swing into his The Landfill Blog Tour and today he's here for an interview.  I must say, interviews are one of my favorite things to do on here, mainly because I get to meet so many amazing people AND I get to learn such interesting things about them.  Kevin is no exception.  What a great guy. :)

Haven't heard of the Landfill?   Here's a little bit of information (and you can read my review here).


The Landfill
Genre: YA, Horror, Short Stories
Publication date: 4.2.2014
Pages: 35
Kindle price. $0.99
Amazon link: The Landfill

Summary: Billy, a high school senior, has lost a lot in the past year, including his younger sister, Sara. Billy lacks excitement and purpose in life until his curiosity takes him and his best friend, Connor, to an old, abandoned landfill along the river. Connor would rather forget the experience, but Billy can’t help but feel invigorated by their findings. Taking it upon himself to uncover the mystery, Billy finds his life coming full circle – but is that a good or bad thing?


Hi, Kevin.  Welcome to The Gal in the Blue Mask.  Let's start off with you telling us a little bit about yourself.

I have been writing in some capacity for about 15 years now.  However, it wasn't until 2010 that I finally developed into the fiction market.  I've been with MuseItUp Publishing ever since, and I write in several genres, including science fiction, crime fiction, dark fiction, and fantasy.

Tell us 5 random facts very few people know about you.

I have allergies to beef and milk.  If you do the math (think about cheese and all the possible dairy products), you'll realize how lame my choices can be when it comes to food.  That being said, I live a healthier life as a result of it.

My mother saved my life when I was a kid.  I was choking on a hot dog, and she managed to pry it out of my mouth in time.  She also suffered permanent kidney damage during my birth and still deals with it to this day.  Talk about sacrifice.  Thanks, Mom!

I lost my first son to stillbirth on August 28, 2010.  He watches over his little brother now.

Prior to my writing career, I managed my own business on three different occasions.  I worked as an investment consultant, a personal chef, and a sports scout.  My background (college degree) is actually in finance.

I donate all of my book proceeds to charity.  St Jude's is a favorite of mine.

What is the first book you remember reading?

I honestly can't remember the title, but it was a book by Isaac Asimov.

What book(s) have most influenced you?

The Stand by Stephen King.  I've always had a fascination with post-apocalyptic settings and stories, and The Stand is what started it all for me.

What made you decide to begin writing in the first place?

I've never been content unless I'm creating something with my mind.  There's no better outlet for this than writing, which is why I started and never looked back.

What inspires you most?

So many things inspire me - books, movies, art, nature, family, etc.  I think the one thing that inspires me most is life in general, because I can draw inspiration from just about anything.

Which of your characters do you think is the most like you?

Billy from The Landfill.  We're both the adventurous type and, like him, I've experienced significant losses in my life (my father and son both passed within 16 months of each other).

Where is your favorite place to write?

The third floor of my house.  It's away from all of the chaos, and there are a lot of nostalgic items (art, toys, etc) that remind me of my childhood.

Is there anything about writing you find the most challenging?

Being patient.  Once I get an idea for a story, millions of things continuously run through my head.  As a result, I often find myself rushing to get everything down on paper.  Until I can extract everything from my brain, I go through a heightened period of stress.

What do you think makes a good story?

Engaging characters, an element of surprise, and a story that can stand alone regardless of the ending.

What kind of things do you do when you're not writing?

Since I'm a stay-at-home dad, I'm usually taking care of my son.  When I get some free time outside of writing, I enjoy reading and watching movies.

What can we expect from you in the future?

My latest story, a sci-fi novella titled Shifting Alliances, will be released by MuseItUp Publishing this fall, so I will be working on this as the year progresses.  Furthermore, I have yet to write a full-length novel, which is an ultimate goal of mine, so I hope to accomplish this at some point as well.

Where can we find you?


Thanks, Kevin, for joining us on The Gal today.  You are welcome back any time :)

More about Kevin
Prior to hitting the fiction scene in 2009, Kevin was a freelance writer for several years, covering everything from finance to sports. His debut work, World of Ash, was released by MuseItUp Publishing in the fall of 2010. Kevin has released several other books through MuseItUp since then, and he has also been published in various magazines and anthology books. Kevin's writing covers many genres, including dark fiction and horror, science fiction and fantasy, and crime fiction. His blog can be found at http://kevin-hopson.blogspot.com.

Kevin's latest releases are Broken Family (Crime/Mystery) and The Landfill (Young Adult/Dark Fiction). His next book, a sci-fi novella titled Shifting Alliances, will be released by MuseItUp Publishing in the fall of 2014.         

6 comments:

MW said...

Great interview, Meghan. And Kevin, that's really, really awesome that you donate your book proceeds to charity! Best of luck to you achieving your writing goals.

Meghan H said...

Thank you :) And that's what I said when I read his answers. He just seems like a really awesome guy.

Thanks for coming by The Gal :)

Gavin Hetherington said...

He has a gorgeous family, I was devastated to learn of his stillborn. My prayers go out to him and his family. But great interview Meghan!

Meghan H said...

Thanks, Gavin. And thanks for stopping by The Gal.

It is a very sad thing - I like the way he thinks about it, though. Big brother will always be watching over that little one.

And children, they see things we don't see. My father died when I was in high school, long before my nieces came along. But when Ris (the older of the two, by 30 seconds) saw a picture of him, she said, "That's Grandpa Jimmy." I asked her how she knew and she said, "He plays ponies with me and sissy." (I asked my mom and sister if they had ever showed the girls pictures of dad and they both said no.) So, I am absolutely sure his sons get to play together. :)

Kevin Hopson said...

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate you hosting me two days in a row, Meghan. First a review and now an interview. I really appreciate it. Losing my first son was the most difficult thing I've ever had to go through. I believe what you say, too, Meghan. I've experienced some unbelievable things when it comes to the spiritual world, so I know for a fact that big brother is looking over his little bro. Thanks again to all of you for your comments. They mean a lot.

Meghan H said...

It was an honor, Kevin. You are welcome back any time :)

I try to think about the positive things instead of the sad things. He's lucky to have such a great guardian angel :)