Sunday, April 13, 2014

REVIEW: The Magic Shop

The Magic Shop
By: Justin Swapp

Genre: Fantasy, Horror, YA/Middle School
Publication date: 1.18.2014
Pages: 511
Amazon link:  The Magic Shop

Date read: 4.13.2014
Recommended by: Read 2 Review

Summary: When Marcus's grandparents decide it would be good for him and his twin sister, Ellie, to tend the family business, a Magic Shop, the children are thrown into a world that they never knew existed. Not only is the family business a front, but Marcus learns that he has been marked as a dead man from the time he was born. 
 
Marcus tries to develop his powers before the Dun-Bahr find him and assimilate the magic he was born with. Will he and his sister survive? Will they find their parents? First they must discover the secret his grandparents have been keeping from them all these years. It all comes down to what's hidden at the Magic Shop.


My thoughts

I had a lot of fun with this book.  Twins (a boy and a girl) who live with their grandparents - and their grandparents own a magic shop.  The story begins at the end of school, the last day before summer begins ... and when they had home that day, the adventure begins. 

This is a great book to share with the middle school kids in your lives, especially if they like magic.  I loved the characters, very real and interesting to get to know.  The take on magic was interesting as well.  And, of course, the little bit of mystery was great fun to figure out. 

4 comments:

swappster said...

Thanks so much for your kind words! Glad you enjoyed the book.

Meghan H said...

You're welcome. I actually plan to use it as my next chapter books with some kids I read to. Please, let me know when/if you publish something else - I would love to read it :)

swappster said...

Thanks so much! I've got several short stories out there. I'm working on the sequel to The Magic Shop, and another novel as well.

Cheers!
Justin

Meghan H said...

Great! I'll go look you up. And I definitely want to read the sequel to The Magic Shop :)