Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Tangled Paths Blog Tour - Review


The Tazu Saga:
Way Walkers: Tangled Paths
Author: J Leigh
Publisher: Red Adept Publishing
Publication date: 4.7.2014
Genre: Fantasy, Coming of Age, Epic
Pages: 479

Date read: 6.2.2014
Recommended by: Read 2 Review

Summary:
Twelve Ways create a thousand tangled paths.
    Hatched from an egg but unable to shift into dragon form, Jathen is a Moot among the Tazu. His rightful throne is forbidden him because of his transformative handicap, and neither his culture nor his religion offer acceptance of his perceived flaws.
    Driven by wounded anger, Jathen strikes out across the vast world beyond Tazu borders, desperate to find a place where he feels accepted and whole. Though he travels with the most trusted of companions, sabotage and conspiracy soon strike this quest. Jathen and his allies must struggle against man and magic alike, at the mercy of forces beyond their ken.
    As Jathen presses on, his questions of belonging are surrounded by more identity, loyalty, and betrayal. Where will the path of his destiny lead, and will he follow or fall?


I don't usually do this, but before I sat down to write this review today, I looked at the reviews others had left on Amazon. I have so much I want to say on this book and I wanted to see if others felt the same way that I did. I needed to get my thoughts in order.

First, I want to say that this is a very good book. It is an unusual story, highly unique, and the drama that runs through the story is very interesting. You learn a lot about their world, their city, their people, their religion in this book.

Second, Jathen and Thee are two really great characters – Jathen is not accepted among his people and, because of this, he has a bit of a temper, a bit of a snarky, sarcastic streak; Thee is his little sister and she really cares for him, spends time with him, stands up for him, and, from what I gathered, is his only real friend. There are other characters that, as I read through this book, I got to know more about and I think the character building was done really well. The world building, too – there were things they described (such as the palace) that I could literally see in my head - and isn't that what we want from the books we read, to be able to see the story play out before our eyes?

Third, the book left me wanting more – more action, more story, more everything. Having interviewed the author, I know that there is more to come, not only with the Way Walkers, but a few novels from "before" that will be coming out when Way Walkers is through, and I am excited to read these.

But then we come to "fourth," and the reason that I chose to give this book a 4 instead of a 5 – the reason I looked at those other reviews and only noticed one point it out – there is a lack of real action in this book AND there were points that I felt like I was on information overload. This book is full of information and the information is great and written really well - the moments between characters run the gambit of emotion - but I wanted more to happen. Now, I know when people write a trilogy or a series, they have a plan of what is happening in each book and, when you have a longer story like that, you need to give out a lot of info, but I am also one of those people that want action stuck in amongst that.

Please, don't let that last paragraph stop you from reading this book because I think, as I said before, it is a really good book with great characters – and I can only imagine how much better the series is going to get as each book happens – and, as I saw from the other reviews, maybe I'm one of the minority when it comes to this action thing. I mean, I have been known to grow rather bored with an action packed book when it slows down some.

Great job, Jaime. Let me know when the next book is out because I can't wait to get my hands on it.

1 comment:

J. Leigh said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my (massive) book and leave an insightful review! :D