Friday, July 25, 2014

Author Interview: Darryl Olsen


Today I'd like to welcome Darryl Olsen to The Gal. He is currently doing a Blog Tour with Worldwind Blog Tours for the book Children of the Gods: The Talon Project (you can see my review here on The Gal).

Hi, Darryl. Welcome!! Let's start with you telling us a little bit about yourself.

I'm a Sydney based author currently contracted with ASJ Publishing. I am the author of the following titles including Purgatory Soldiers of Misfortune and Purgatory Origins-Powers of Darkness. The title "Children of the Gods" is my first attempt in the world of space opera and code breaking, I can't wait to show everyone some of the strange things that run around in my head. When I'm not writing (or working), I love travelling, camping, 4WD and fishing. I have been known to swing the odd golf club.

What are some things about you that most people don't know?

If I wasn't writing, I'd probably be admitted to a Mental Health Facility, seriously some of the stuff that goes around my head is scary and maybe a little crazy. But it's all fun. You'd probably be surprised to know that I also own a number of racehorses, so don't be too shocked if you run into me at the local race track.

What is the first book you remember reading?

I can't remember the title, but I'm guessing it would have involved military action, adventure and maybe a little bit of Science Fiction just to mix things up. I remember reading a lot of those Star Wars novels when I was young, so chances are it could have been one of those.

What made you decide to begin writing?

The main reason I started writing was that I found it a major emotional outlet. It can really be a tool where you can put some of your crazy ideas onto paper and watch the characters develop.

Do you have any quirks that you go through when you write?

Each book is different for me, some of my writing is developed and planned, while others are taken out of emotions or ideas I have picked up during that day. I'll go to my local state forest, sit down and let nature inspire me. You'd be surprised how many times that works.

Do you have a special place you like to write?

I prefer the outdoors, under a nice tree. You may even find a beer in my hand, laptop in the other, that's the life.

Is there anything about writing you find most challenging?

I guess the hardest thing is getting started on that first novel, but the end result is so rewarding.

What do you think makes a good story?

Putting the reader in a place of uncertainty, and watch them try to make sense of it all. It always brings a smile to my dial.

What book(s) have most influenced you?

I'm a huge fan of Greig Beck "Black Mountain" and the Charlie Parker series by John Connolly. I have also just read the new "Knight of the Old Republic" books which I think are a great addition to the Star Wars Franchise.

What inspires you most?

Probably family friends, other authors (and alcohol), but not politicians, I hate those guys.

Where do the ideas for your books come from?

From events and everyday life. I sometimes get my ideas from Mother Nature herself. (Thanks mom)

Which of your characters do you think is the most like you?

I'd like to see myself as former CIA deputy director Mr. Hayston, a man with a secretive past.

What have you learned creating this book?

It's the first time I have written anything in the speculative fiction world, I hope people enjoy the read.

What do you think your readers will take away from this book?

Just go into the novella with an open mind, and let your mind run free.

What makes your book different than others that fall under this genre?

You'll never read another book like this, I can guarantee that!

What can we expect from you in the future?

More science fiction, more horror, and maybe a little adventure thrown in.


You can email me at: Darryl@darrylolsen.com
I also have an Amazon page, Twitter and a Facebook page.

No comments: