Monday, July 14, 2014

Author Interview – Lauren Hodge (Discord Trilogy Blog Tour)


It is my pleasure to have Lauren Hodge on The Gal today. This is one of two stops she's making here for her Discord Trilogy Blog Tour (the second tomorrow, when I review all three books in the series, so come back and check it out :D). One of the things I like most about doing blog tours is getting to interview these really awesome authors. I have learned so much fun stuff about them. Lauren is no different. :D


Hi, Lauren. Welcome to The Gal. Let's start off with you telling us a little bit about yourself.

Well, I am the oldest of seven children and an identical twin. It's great having spare body parts. Bone marrow, kidney, lung, liver … my twin keeps them all warm for me. Right now I am an accounting student, but in the past I've also been a chemist, caterer, and once worked this terrible crowd management job.

What is the first book you remember reading?

Nina's Journey: A Memoir of Stalinist Russia and World War II.

What inspires you most?

Practical intelligence. I love literature and philosophy that is practical and moral at the same time.

What books have most influenced you?

The Dune series by Frank Herbert. The layers and complexity he weaves while at the same time teaching about political deification. I could get drunk on those books.

What made you decide to begin writing in the first place?

I stumbled onto fan fiction with a misdirected Google search. After reading that for a few months, I wondered if I could write. I never meant to show anyone … and I mean ANYONE. My twin didn't even know I was writing. She didn't find out until I was almost done with my third book. The Discord Trilogy is actually my fourth, fifth and sixth books.

Do you have a special place you like to write?

Anywhere where a fortress of solitude can be built, which with ear buds, is pretty much anywhere where a flat surface is available. My preference is in my room, in my big comfy chair … if at all possible, with a cat on my feet.

Which of your characters do you think is the most like you?

I have had people say I am a mixture of Cora and Taralie. I can say the scene in the first chapter of The Golden Apple of Discord where Tara beats up the guy who gets grabby actually did happen to me, so I guess I have a little Tara in me as well.

Is there anything about writing you find most challenging?

Actually no. I mean sure I sucked before I discovered editors but I don't' write because there is anything hard about it. I do it because it is the best mental playground anyone could ever have. Your mind can be a prison or a palace. I have a mind palace.
     Also, I love working with editors. Shelby Blakely, Adam Cushman of Red14Films and Meghan Pinson of My Two Cents Editing have all been dreams to work with. If you have good editors, like I do, there is a phrase I have come to get giddy over … Accept All Changes.

What do you think makes a good story?

There has to be a bigger thesis than how you can play with supernatural powers. There has to be accountability for your own emotions and actions. There has to be something taught. Protagonists and antagonists cannot be, under any circumstances, black and white. Doing so creates nothing more than a stage where the protagonist pontificates about their sainthood.

Do you have any quirks or processes that you go through when you write?

Benders? Seriously, there are weekends where I am at the computer fourteen hours a day. I dirty one bowl the whole weekend eating nothing but cereal and bathroom breaks are an afterthought. I stay in the same clothes and the only time I hear my own voice is when my sister calls. It's like crack for writers.

What can we expect from you in the future?

I am excited for two projects. One is an all human novel, more of an adult novel than the new adult genre of The Discord Trilogy. But, I am also writing novellas consisting of short stories from other characters points of view. The first one, Discordia, is already out. In any novel, there are some time lapses where you don't get to see things that go on. If you're writing first person, there are things the protagonist doesn't see but still are entertaining. In Discordia, we have six chapter length short stories from both the sisters and the bad guy's point of view. Bad characters aren't always bad, and good characters aren't always good.

Well, Laura. It was great having you here today. I am 67% through with Book 3 and I am excited to see how it ends. I'm also going to grab up Discordia – that sounds like an awesome read. :D
     One more thing before you go. Where can we find you?

We have The Discord Trilogy WEBSITE with links to all our social media hotspots. YouTube is my favorite because you can watch our awesome book trailers, then get some cat videos on the way out … that is if you ever find your way out.

No comments: