Wednesday, July 23, 2014

REVIEW: Everyday Prayers

Everyday Prayers: 365 Days to a Gospel-Centered Faith
By Scotty Smith

Genre: Prayerbooks, Meditations

Publication date: 9.1.2011
Pages: 385

Date read: 12.31.2013


Summary: How would life be different if we could think, see, and do all things in light of the person and work of Jesus? With this inspiring collection of 365 Scripture-centered prayers, Scotty Smith helps readers pray the Scriptures through the lens of the gospel, mining the resources of God's grace and applying them in every season of life. He frees readers to abandon any posing or pretending in favor of an honest, no-spin relationship with a God who claims them as his own.

Each day includes a Scripture reference and an inspirational original prayer, born from both moments of great faith and moments of crisis. Like a modern-day book of Psalms, Everyday Prayers is a year's worth of growing in grace that readers will lean on year after year.



One of my 2013 resolutions was to read some of the Bible and to pray more.  I did read more of the Bible and I highly recommend the Laudate app for anyone who wants to do this - the whole Bible, plus daily readings, prayers, etc.  I thought this book would be encouragement for me to pray, but sadly, it was not.

I hate to say anything bad about this book because it is someone's personal prayers, but he published them as something that could help others and, though some of them were beautiful, not a lot of them are relatable - and the writing is just not engaging, doesn't keep you interested.  He actually talks like he was alive back when the Bible was originally written, which is tedious at times and I spent a lot of time looking up old words in the dictionary (and I'm a very articulate person who uses big words a lot).

As I said, some were very beautifully written and some did make me think, but after awhile I found myself skipping some - or missing out for a month and having to go back and skim to catch up.  Not what I wanted and, honestly, wonderful that he wrote these and that they helped him - but disappointing because they were not helpful to me.

No comments: