Wednesday, July 23, 2014

REVIEW: Guilt-Free Quiet Times

Guilt-free Quiet Times
By: Emily E Ryan

Genre: Spirituality, Prayer
Publication date: 12.3.2013
Pages: 120

Date read: 1.26.2014
Recommended by: Read 2 Review

Summary: Somewhere along the line, you’ve been taught some version of this: Your quiet time with God is only effective when you have the perfect atmosphere, the proper tools, and the right formula. You must rise before dawn, gather your study Bible, devotional book, concordance, highlighters, colored pencils, and journal and devote thirty minutes of undisturbed silence to communicate with the Lord. If you cannot do this every day without fail, you must not love Jesus.

When it comes to your quiet time, it’s time to say no to someone else’s rules or magic formulas that work perfectly for him or her but only create chaos and guilt in your own life. With the perfect blend of sarcasm and Scripture, Emily Ryan exposes the most common myths about traditional quiet times and gives you the freedom you need to chase after God in your own unique way. 


The book includes small group discussion questions and an exhaustive list of practical ideas that will help you get to know God rather than get to know how to have the perfect quiet time.



I am a religious person, though probably not as religious as I should be.  I speak to God, but probably not as much as I'm supposed to and usually more like I'm having a conversation with a friend than actually speaking to God.  I've often wondered if I'm doing it right and, when speaking to other more religious people than me at my church, I've always walked away knowing that I'm doing it all wrong.  Instead of encouraging me, it actually keeps me away, which I'm sure is even worse.

When I had the chance to read this for an r2r, I jumped at the chance.  I mean, the title alone spoke to me and isn't that one of the things that pulls us into a book?

I really enjoyed this book.  She was motivational and not too preachy.  Some of the myths she used were ones I had heard myself from those "more religious people than me at my church" and what she said after each really put everything into perspective.  She gives tips, ideas ... and one of the things I liked the most was that she includes links to interesting articles that focus on smaller things that she mentions in passing.

I found this to be a very interesting book and recommend it to any other religious person who isn't sure if they are "doing it right."

No comments: