Wednesday, July 23, 2014

REVIEW: Tiastasia's Food Memoir

Tiastasia's Food Memoirs
By: Stasia Nielsen

Genre: Cooking, Memoirs
Publication date: 6.15.2012
Pages: 143
Amazon link: Tiastasia's Food Memoirs 

Date read: 2.27.2014
Recommended by: Read 2 Review

Summary: Most of our earliest memories can be grounded in family and food: loved ones gathered around the kitchen while grandma cooks up her famous fried chicken or tacos, little ones sneaking spoonfuls of cake batter while momma’s back is turned. Almost everyone can recall a favorite food memory from their childhood.

Here I have collected recipes from all over the world-- from my international adventures while serving as a missionary mom-- that we as a family have thoroughly enjoyed. Some of these have been handed down from grandmas from such places as Mexico and Korea. Some of the recipes are from dear friends, but the majority of them are the result of me just fiddling with ingredients and making something yummy with ingredients that we as a family enjoy.

My hope for this book is to bring to your table some of the culinary delights from places you may never be able to go. We enjoy cooking together and making memories in our kitchen. I hope and pray that you have those times with your loved ones as well.



I have always been truly captivated by cookbooks (since I was very young - one of my earliest memories is being 5 or 6 and getting in trouble for taking several cookbooks off the shelf and hiding them under my bed - in my defense, it was so I could "read through them" where my sister couldn't pester me - or go back in and lose my spot) and can (and will) read them from cover to cover.  In this day and age, when you can go online and look up any recipe, it seems that cookbooks - with the author's notes and stories - have become obsolete and this truly saddens me.  I really enjoyed reading the memories the author shared and look forward to trying several of her recipes.

A lot of the recipes she has included are ones you can find elsewhere, but her notes made them more appealing to me - I just wish she had added notes to all of them and not just a handful. 

She included potato chip cookies, something my mom used to make for me when I was a kid (something I still love), something most people have never heard of.  That's awesome :)

No comments: