Sunday, September 28, 2014

REVIEW: Fit to Be Dead

Aggie Mundeen Mystery 1:
Fit to Be Dead
Nancy G West

Genre: Mystery
Publisher: Henery Press
Publication date: 7.24.2014
Pages: 338

Recommended by: Great Escape Book Tours, Read 2 Review
Date read: 9.27.2014

Summary: Aggie Mundeen, single and pushing forth, fears nothing but middle age.  When she moves from Chicago to San Antonio, she decides she better shape up before anybody discovers she writes the column, "Stay Young with Aggie."  She takes Aspects of Aging at the University of the Holy Trinity and plunges into exercise at Fit and Firm.
            Rusty at flirting and mechanically inept, she irritates a slew of male exercisers, then stumbles into murder.  She'd like to impress the attract detective with her sleuthing skills.  But when the killer comes after her, the health club evacuates semi-clad patrons, and the detective has to stall his investigation to save Aggie's derriere.



I am a huge lover of mysteries (one of my favorite genres, my favorite sleuth being Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot) and am always looking to find new ones to try.  When I read the description on this one - and saw that it was set in the city that I live in - I thought this could be a great read.  I was right and wrong.

I was expecting a light mystery, one that I could just breeze through, the kind of book most people consider "summer reading."  What I got was a cute mystery.  I mean, it was cute - I did get my bit of light reading and breezed through the story quite quickly - but when I was telling my mom about it, she said "Mysteries aren't supposed to be cute," and I agree with her there.  

After the incident in the pool on the day Aggie starts at Fit and Firm, I was interested to find out what was going to happen next and kept reading.  It got even more interesting after the murder.  There were some funny parts too.  But I felt like I was reading a romance that was trying to disguise itself as a mystery novel - and was trying too hard to be cute and funny.  I actually thought this was just me - I'm not really a fan of the romance genre - but when I sat down to write this review, having no idea where to start or what to even say, I took a look at some of the other reviews to see if other people felt the same way that I did, and there were a few that did.

I think my major issue with the book was Aggie herself.  I didn't like her, from the very first pages.  She cared too much about looks and came across, at least in my opinion, as an unhappy know-it-all who constantly wanted all attention on her.  I also felt like she "played dumb" to get guys to notice her, something I just can't stand.  I found myself wanting to know what was going to happen to the other characters - a few I really got into - and not really caring to find out more about her.  

I do plan to read book #2, though.  I'm curious to see how things progress and if she matures any as the series goes on.  I may like her more if she does.  

No comments: