Tuesday, September 2, 2014

REVIEW: Hostage: Kidnapped on the High Seas

Hostage: Kidnapped on the High Seas
By: Linda Davies

Genre: Biography & Memoirs, International & World Politics
Publisher: Vigliano Books
Publication date: 8.10.2014
Pages: 172

Recommended by: Sage's Blog Tours, Read 2 Review
Date read: 9.2.2014

Summary: Known for her powerful female protagonists who refuse to back down in the face of evil, New York Times bestselling author Linda Davies somehow found herself in a situation that could have been ripped from the pages of one of her thrillers.
            In 2005, Linda was living happily with her family in Dubai.  Ever the adventurer, she was on the maiden voyage of her new catamaran alongside her husband when the boat's captain unknowingly sailed into sharply protested waters in the Strait of Hormuz, off the coast of Iran.  Soon the trio were surrounded by gun boats and boarded by armed Iranian militants.
            Over the next two weeks Linda was held hostage by one of the most feared regimes in the world, with no reason to expect anything but the worst.  The story of her imprisonment and harrowing escape, which she has worked so hard in the past to forget, is told in candid and shocking detail.  Crackling with tension, it is also laced through with black humor and insight.  Iran is perhaps the most hated and least understood country in modern society and Linda's account gives a rare, illuminating glimpse into the realities of the oppressive regime.


I received an email one day from Sage asking me if I liked memoirs and, after looking at the two she suggested to me, I gladly said yes to both.  They could not be any more different (the other one was a sort-of romance that was insanely hilarious), but both very powerful.

This story is frightening and sad at the same time.  I can't even imagine how she handled going through the things she talks about in this book - and, to be honest, I don't know if I could have survived such an ordeal.  Kidnapped by militants armed to the teeth, unaware of what they were going to do to you next, unable to speak to your children or tell anyone where you were - scary!!

The pain and fear that she felt during her captivity shines through her words in this book, but at the same time, she keeps a sort of dark humor throughout it all (I especially love the voice in her head that is rather giddy when it comes to things i.e. when she gets forced onto an old rickety plane, it reminds her that she has never actually been on a private plane before ... or a military one for that matter ... so totally how my brain works when I panic).

The only issue I had with this book is how it is written - and this may be just a personal issue.  It's a memoir, so of course it's going to be written in first person, but I felt like parts of it did not flow (while others just kept me going), were choppy (if that makes sense), especially when several sentences in a row begin with the word "I."  But I did begin it and have a hard time putting it down because I wanted to know what happened next.

If you like memoirs and personal adventures, you should check this book out.  The insight she gives on the culture is really interesting.

No comments: