Thursday, September 4, 2014

REVIEW: The New Indian Slow Cooker

The New Indian Slow Cooker
Neela Paniz

Genre: Cooking
Publisher: Ten Speed Press
Publication date: 9.2.2014
Pages: 144

Recommended by: NetGalley, Read 2 Review
Date read: 8.30.2014
Amazon link: The New Indian Slow Cooker

Summary: The newest book in Ten Speed's best-selling slow cooker series, featuring more than 60 fix-it-and-forget-it recipes for Indian favorites.
            The rich and complex flavors of classic Indian dishes like Lamb Biryani, Palak Paneer, and chicken in a creamy tomato-butter sauce can take hours to develop through such techniques as extended braising and low simmering.  In The New Indian Slow Cooker, veteran cooking teacher and chef Neela Paniz revolutionizes the long, slow approach to making Indian cuisine by rethinking its traditional recipes for the slow cooker.
            She showcases the best regional curries, dahls made with lentils and beans, vegetable and rice sides, as well as key accompaniments like chutneys, flatbreads, raita, and fresh Indian cheese.  Using this fix-it-and-forget-it approach, you can produce complete and authentic Indian meals that taste like they come from Mumbai, New Delhi, and Bangalore, or your favorite Indian restaurant.
            Featuring both classic and innovative recipes such as Pork Vindaloo, Kashmiri Potato Curry, Date and Tamarind Chutney, and Curried Chickpeas, these full-flavor, no-fuss dishes are perfect for busy cooks any day of the week.


Indian cuisines is one of my favorite cuisines, something I tried when I was young and have loved and been amazed by ever since.  My mother used to cook us recipes from Stendahl's The Bombay Palace Cookbook and their dishes were so flavorful and just plain amazing.  As an adult, I have not only read that cookbook, but several more, trying to learn what I can about this cuisine and how to make the classic dishes, as well as more modern ones.  I was excited when I found this on NetGalley and this is definitely one of my favorites of all the cookbooks I've read this year.

There is so much information included in this book and I suggest that you sit down and read it all before you get started on any of the recipes.  She explains a lot - about ingredients and equipment, about the steps, about why things are the way they are - and with that, the recipes themselves are easier to make.  (She even gives you tips to make the recipes without buying the "special equipment" that is used with Indian cooking.)

The pictures are amazing - my stomach was growling just looking at them (and I'm getting hungry just thinking about it) - and the recipes are exciting and fun (especially the ones I hadn't heard of before).  Chutneys, curries, dahls, masalas ... she has a lot in this book and it is all organized very well.  This is definitely a book I plan to put on my bookshelf and utilize every chance I get.

Note: The author includes an excerpt on the book's Amazon page which includes her broth recipe.  

No comments: