Thursday, September 4, 2014

REVIEW: Tamales

Tamales
Alice Guadalupe Tapp

Genre: Cooking
Publisher: Ten Speed Press
Publication date: 10.7.2014
Pages: 144

Recommended by: NetGalley, Read 2 Review
Date read: 8.31.2014
Amazon link: Tamales

Summary: A cookbook for making delicious, inventive, and fast tamales using time-saving tips and tricks that simplify the prep-intensive traditional process.
            Tamales are a Mexican favorite, beloved year-round as well as at Christmas, when the whole family traditionally pitches in with the work of tamale preparation and assembly.  Thanks to renowned tamalera Alice Guadalupe Tapp, it's now possible to enjoy these delicious treats with a lot less labor.  Tapp has worked her tamale magic to turn the classic process on its head by paring it down to three or four steps that can be done in as little as forty-five minutes using handy tips, products, and tools.  All sixty dishes int he book are naturally gluten free, and include both classic tamale recipes - such as Chicken Mole, Sirloin Beef, and Fresh Poblano and Potato tamales - and novel recipes such as Chorizo and Egg, Oxtail, and Baked Fig tamales.  With this book, tamales are fast and easy enough to enjoy every day, and delicious enough to serve at any celebration.


I have always been a huge fan of Mexican food, especially tamales.  And here in San Antonio, they are a HUGE deal.  I have had some homemade ones that were absolutely delicious, so every time I see a friend of mine selling them, I grab a could of dozen.  When I moved here, I had not eaten meat in several years and was very disappointed to find that people don't make vegetarian tamales - until I found cheese and jalapeƱo at our local grocery store.  Talk about tamale heaven - SO good.  Anyways, I have always wanted to learn to make them, but never was in the situation where I could.  So when I found this on NetGalley, well, how could I not grab it up?

This book is full of creative recipes and beautiful pictures.  There are even desert tamales!!  Through her instructions, she has made what, from the outside world, looks really time-consuming and difficult, into something relatively easy to do (easier once you get some practice in) so that everyone can do them.  And there are so many different kinds of tamales that there's bound to be one that you and your family will love - but I'm betting there ends up being way more than just one.  This is a cookbook that I want on my shelf and I can't wait until the day of publication. :)

No comments: