Wednesday, October 29, 2014

REVIEW: Dark Seed

Dark Seed
Lawrence Verigin

Genre: Ecological Thriller
Publisher: Promontory Press
Publication date: 10.27.2013
Pages: 289

Recommended by: Sage's Blog Tours, Read 2 Review
Date read: 10.28.2014

Summary: A disillusioned journalist and the grieving daughter of a murdered scientist uncover an immoral and destructive global plot by the largest developer of genetically engineered seed and its parent pharmaceutical conglomerate.
          Nick Barnes and Morgan Elles learn that the goal of the man behind these organizations is the complete control of human existence.  He eliminates opposition and interference without hesitation or remorse.
            The couple quickly find themselves fighting for their lives.  And yours.
            Grab hold for a wild ride with this exciting, high concept thriller that tackles one of the big issues of our time.


This was a really interesting story that captured my attention from the very beginning.  The storyline was intriguing, the adventure was fun.  Being part of things as they figured out what all was going on, while trying to stay alive, kept me reading long after bedtime - I couldn't put it down; my brain would not let me stop until I found out the full story.  The characters were an interesting mix: Nick and Morgan, the main characters, seemed to not have much in common when the thing began; Morgan's father was someone I wish had been around longer in the story because he was someone I would have liked to know more about; his two friends that helped them out along the way were interesting as well.  I also liked Sue, Nick's best friend.  The bad guys were well written - you couldn't help but dislike them, but at the same time, you wanted to know more about them.

My issue with the book, and the reason it received a lower rating (4 stars instead of 5, rounded up from 3 1/2), is the editing.  I am hoping that the copy he gave the blog tour company was incorrect, that he accidentally gave them the unedited copy, because I can't imagine how someone could let this go to press.  Besides the punctuation issues and lack of capitalization, there were some repetitive parts, ideas stated more than once, as if it just came to them then, not in the chapter before, or the time it was mentioned before that.  There's also information that is not needed, which messes up the flow, making parts of it a little slow.  I know that there are a lot of people that won't be bothered by such a thing, and usually I just mention the editing issues in passing (even though I am an editor, I read these books purely for enjoyment), but the punctuation and capitalization problem especially made this book a little cumbersome reading.  I would have to go back and re-read a sentence, realizing that I had missed a period and without that capitalization at the beginning of the sentence, I hadn't even noticed that we had moved on to a new one.  Lawrence, cleaned up a little bit, this could definitely be a 5 star book.

No comments: