Wednesday, December 10, 2014

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Nancy Cole Silverman


The Gal in the Blue Mask: Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Nancy Cole Silverman: I'm a writer.  From the time I was a small child I knew I had stories to tell.

The Gal: What are five things most people don't know about you?

NCS: 1) That I was a victim of the group of right separatists that nearly stole my home out from under me.  2) That I lived in Europe for four years in my young adult life.  3) That my favorite hike involves chocolate.  4) At five o'clock every night I don an apron and cook dinner with a glass of wine.  5) My husband and I sleep in a queen sized bed with two giant standard poodles.

The Gal: What is the first book you remember reading?

NCS: As a small child, I read all the Nancy Drew books, but as a young girl I was blown away by Gone with the Wind and Somerset Maugam's book Liza Lamabeth, and a lot of things by Leon Uris.

The Gal: What are you reading now?

NCS: The Burning Room.

The Gal: What made you decide you want to write?  When did you begin writing?

NCS: I have always written, but my experiences with the Montana Freeman inspired me to write one of my first novels, which actually is the prequel to Shadow of Doubt.

The Gal: Do you have a special place you like to write?

NCS: My office.

The Gal: Do you have any quirks or processes that you go through when you write?

NCS: I prefer to write early in the morning with lots of coffee and my two standard poodles in my office.  There my sentinels.

The Gal: Where do the ideas for your books come from?

NCS: They find me.  I must be a magnet for unusual activities.  I've met some unusual people and circumstances just happen to me.

The Gal: What books have most inspired you?

NCS: I'm a big Michael Connelly fan, and Stephen King, and Dean Koontz.

The Gal: Is there anything about writing you find most challenging?

NCS: I'm a lefty, so I'm right brained and sometimes I think I could use more left brain.

The Gal: What do you think makes a good story?

NCS: Surprise.  The unexpected.

The Gal: Which, of all your characters, do you think is the most like you?

NCS: Carol Childs.  She is my alter ego, but much braver.

The Gal: Why did you pick your particular genre?

NCS: Life's a mystery.

The Gal: Wha makes your books different from others out there in this genre?

NCS: A sense of humor.  Without it, life can be scary and dull.

The Gal: What can we expect from you in the future?

NCS: Better and more of the same.

The Gal: Thanks for stopping by today, Nancy.  One more thing before you go - where can we find you?

NCS: Publisher Website Author Website


About the author:
Silverman believes her twenty-five years in radio help her to develop an ear for storytelling.  In 2001 she retired from news and copyediting to write fiction full-time.  Much of what she writes she admits is pulled from behind the headlines of actual events that were reported on from some of Los Angeles' busiest radio newsrooms where she spent the bulk of her career.  In the last ten years she has written numerous short stories and novelettes, some of which have won awards and/or been picked up for publication.  Currently she has three audio books with MindWings Audio.  Her first novel, The Centaur's Promise, was published by Eloquent Press in 2010.  In December, Henery Press is rolling out the first of Silverman's new Carol Childs Mysteries, Shadow of Doubt

No comments: