Monday, December 29, 2014

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: S.M. Freedman


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Hello!!  Welcome to The Gal.  Let's start off with you telling us a little bit about yourself.

S.M. Freedman:
I'm a former private investigator turned author.  Mom of two, wife of one, and ruled by one giant orange cat.  Seriously, don't anger the cat.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are 5 things about you that most people don't know?

S.M. Freedman:
Confession time, oh dear.  I'm actually quite an open book (pun intended), but many people don't know I studied theater in New York.  That was a blast!  I'm an introvert in disguise.  I will absolutely lose my nut if I think I'm going to be one minute late for something, and I believe Nutella is heaven's nectar.  Oh, and I'm terrible at math.  There, now that's five.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What is the first book you remember reading?

S.M. Freedman:
Anne of Green Gables.  I still love it.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What made you decide to begin writing?

S.M. Freedman:
I've been telling stories since I started talking, so writing was just a natural progression.  Being a writer has always been the dream that stirred my soul, although I pushed it down for many of my adult years as I pursued more stable careers.  But the dream never died, and now that I'm following that passion I've never been happier.  You can fail at what you don't want to do, so you might as well do what you love.  Life is too darn short.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have any quirks or processes that you go through when you write?

S.M. Freedman:
I'm a mom of two.  I've learned to write between demands and diaper changes.  When I get an uninterrupted hour to write, it's like Nutella.  Heavenly.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have a special place you like to write?

S.M. Freedman:
I write in the living room, while ducking Lego missiles.  It keeps me alert.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Is there anything about writing you find most challenging?

S.M. Freedman:
That darn blank page.  It's both invitation and condemnation.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you think makes a good story?

S.M. Freedman:
Anything that is genuine.  There is an amazing spectrum of humanity, and if the story touches on any aspect of that in a truthful way, I'm hooked.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What book(s) have most influenced you?

S.M. Freedman:
There are so many, and I love many different genres.  Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series (a perfect example of cross-genre awesomeness), Sue Grafton's Alphabet series, Jodi Picoult's character development, but most of all I love Stephen King for bravely going right to the edge, and for his ability to paint a picture you'll never forget in just three words.  That's pure genius.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What inspires you most?

S.M. Freedman:
My children.  Kids come into this world without a filter, and they are so gloriously weird.  I love that.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Where do the ideas for your book come from?

S.M. Freedman:
The meteorite that exploded above Russia in February 2013 started what eventually became The Faithful.  I started researching a NASA program called Spaceguard, and my main character became a meteorite hunter.  Somewhere along the way the story grew to encompass the kidnapping of hundreds of psychic children by a twisted organization bent on Armageddon.  That one I can't explain.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Which of your characters do you think is the most like you?

S.M. Freedman:
They're all me to some extent.  Josh has my sense of duty and gentle heart, poor Sumner has my inappropriate sense of humor, and Ryanne  has my sass and appetite for junk food.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What have you learned creating this book?

S.M. Freeman:
That I won't stop writing until they pry the keyboard from my cold, dead hands.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you think readers will take away from this book?

S.M. Freedman:
I hope they enjoyed the roller coaster, and they're sad it's over.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What can we expect from you in the future?

S.M. Freedman:
I'm working on the sequel to The Faithful, and I'm hoping it will be out sometime in the first half of 2015.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Thanks for stopping by The Gal today - and I hope you will be stopping by again when that sequel comes out.  It's been a lot of fun having you. 
            One more thing before you go.  Where can we find you?

S.M. Freedman:
Website ** Blog ** Facebook ** Twitter

About the author:
S.M. Freedman is a top-ranked Amazon author in the Mystery, Thriller and Suspense categories, and a member of the WorldWiseWriters group.  She lives in Vancouver with her husband, two children, and a giant orange cat.
            She studied acting at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York, and spent years as a private investigator and business owner.
            Inspired by authors of many different genres (favorites include Sue Grafton, Diana Gabaldon, Jodi Picoult, Stephen King, Justin Cronin, Suzanne Collins and Lawrence Hill, to name a few), she eventually turned back to her first love: writing.
            The Faithful, a paperback and Kindle Amazon Bestseller in both the US and the UK, and a Quarter Finalist in the 2014 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award, is her debut novel.  She's currently working on the sequel.

No comments: