Tuesday, December 30, 2014

REVIEW: Krampusnacht

Krampusnacht:
12 Nights of Krampus

Genre: Fairy Tales, Holidays
Publisher: World Weaver Press
Publication date: 11.11.2014
Pages: 208

Recommended by: World Weaver Press, Read 2 Review
Date read: 12.23.2014

Summary: The joy and terror of the season.  For bad children, a lump of coal from Santa is positively light punishment when Krampus is ready and waiting to beat them with a stick, wrap them in chains, and drag them down to hell - all with St. Nick's encouragement and approval.  Krampusnacht holds within its pages twelve tales of Krampus triumphant, usurped, befriended, and much more.  From evil children (and adults) who get their due, to those who pull one over on the ancient "Christmas Devil."  From historic Europe, to the North Pole, to present day American suburbia, these all new stories embark on a revitalization of the Krampus tradition.  Whether you choose to read Krampusnacht over twelve dark and scary nights or devour it in one nacho of joy and terror, these stories are sure to add chills and magic to any winter's reading.


Introduction
by Kate Wolford

First Night of Krampus: Prodigious
by Elizabeth Twist

Second Night of Krampus: The Wicked Child
by Elise Forier Edie

Third Night of Krampus: Marching Krampus
by Jill Corddry

Fourth Night of Krampus: Peppermint Sticks
by Colleen H Robbins

Fifth Night of Krampus: Ring, Little Bell, Ring
by Caren Gussoff

Sixth Night of Krampus: A Visit
by Lissa Sloan

Seventh Night of Krampus:
Santa Claus & the Little Girl Who Loves to Sing & Dance
by Patrick Evans

Eight Night of Krampus: Between the Eyes
by Guy Burtenshaw

Ninth Night of Krampus: Nothing to Dread
by Jeff Provine

Tenth Night of Krampus: Raw Recruits
by Mark Mills

Eleventh Night of Krampus: The God Killer
by Cheresse Burke

Twelfth Night of Krampus: Krampus Carol
by Scott Farrell




A couple of years ago, shortly before my nieces' 5th Christmas, the Houston Chronicle posted an article about the way other countries celebrate Christmas, the way they see Santa Claus, and other ... creatures ... that come around during the winter time.  We shared this article with the and they were intrigued, wanting to know more about the people we were reading about, asking us to help them look up pictures on the computer so they could see what they looked like.  One of them was Krampus.  Ever since then, I have been obsessed.  There is just SOMETHING about this guy that has me enthralled.  He's intriguing and scary.  (And, I must add, my nieces, who had been acting up, like all young ones do, were REALLY good after finding out more about him.  Well, him and the mother that sends her three sons out on Christmas Eve to pick up the really bad kids so she could eat them for dinner.)

When I received an email from the publishing company telling me about their latest releases - and saw THIS - I did something I never do.  I contacted them, asking if I could spotlight this book on my blog.  Elizabeth Wagner, the publicity manager at World Weaver Press, emailed me back saying that she would love for me to do this and sent me all kinds of information to use.  She also offered me a copy of this book.  

I am SO glad that I contacted this publisher - and that I accepted their offer of an r2r.  I LOVED this book.  It starts out with a really great Introduction that offered some history on Krampus, with some snark and sarcasm mixed in.  Each story was different and well written.  I loved reading the way each author depicted him, some as you would expect and some not.  Not only did I really enjoy the stories in this book, but I plan on reading more from each author.  This is definitely a book I recommend, especially to people who are as interested in Krampus as I am.

No comments: