Tuesday, December 30, 2014

REVIEW: Real Santa

Real Santa
William Hazelgrove

Genre: Holidays, Family Life, Humor
Publisher: Koehler Books
Publication date: 9.1.2014
Pages: 244

Recommended by: Koehler Books, Read 2 Review
Date read: 12.24.2014

Summary: George Kronenfeldt is an unemployed engineer with one shot to keep his daughter's belief in Santa intact.  When Megan tells him the only way she will believe in Santa is if she can videotape him and then tells her fourth grade class she will prove the existence of Santa Claus by posting her video to YouTube, George realizes he must become the Real Santa.
            Real Santa is a funny, heartwarming story of parenthood gone wrong and illustrates what lengths parents will go to keep their children happy.



I love feel good holiday stories.  In fact, in the couple of months leading up to December, I begin collecting them, whether they are just really interesting ones I find on Amazon (or in my local bookstore), or they are read 2 reviews offered to me.  

This one was offered to me ... and I wasn't so sure about it at first.  The idea of the story sounds awesome - I mean, who doesn't want the children in their lives to stay young and believe as long as they can?  (I have beautiful twin nieces that I wish were still the little ones who read stories with me.)  This book turned out better than I had expected - if you're looking for a feel good, this one is a good choice - but there were a few characters that I didn't care for, that "over-acted" their positions.  My two favorite characters were Josh and Megan - they are my kinds of children, always curious and wanting to know more, still believing, but at the same time needing proof.  My least favorite character was their teacher.

No comments: