Friday, February 27, 2015

AMONG THE STACKS: Alex Stargazer


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Hi, Alex.  Welcome to The Gal!!  I am so loving your book cover.
            Let's start out with something easy - Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Alex Stargazer:
Let's start with my name: Alex Stargazer.  No, it's not my real name; you couldn't pronounce that even if I told you.  I'm a seventeen year old writer.  Yes, seventeen.  No typo there folks.  I write - obviously.  My genre of choice is dark fantasy; in addition, I write romance, High Fantasy, and what may best be described as supernatural literary fiction.  I also plan on writing some non-fiction - I'm a big economics buff (studying it right now), and a keen philosopher.  Quantum physics is another favourite of mine.  I hate math, but being born to two mathematicians, I'm annoyingly good at it.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are five things most people don't know about you?

Alex Stargazer:
  1. I'm gay.  But everyone knows that.
  2. I have a deep fascination with Hindu mythology.
  3. My favourite color is blue, but I'm not sure about that.
  4. I'm interested in Buddhist philosophy.
  5. I can dance.
The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What is the first book you remember reading?

Alex Stargazer:
Ehm, good question.  The earliest thing I remember lucidly is probably the tale of James and the Giant Peach.  Makes sense, eh?

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are you reading now?

Alex Stargazer:
Das Kapital, by you know who.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What made you decide you want to write?  When did you begin writing?

Alex Stargazer:
I began The Necromancer (my first work; out now!) in October 2012.  The catalyst?  An incipient tide of magical ideas.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have a special place you like to write?

Alex Stargazer:
I like attics, but my favourite place would likely be on top of a mountain.  I love mountains.  It's too bad England is flat as a pancake :(

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have any quirks or processes that you go through when you write?

Alex Stargazer:
I plan everything, then proceed to ignore it and write something totally different.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Where do the ideas for your books come from?

Alex Stargazer:
Who knows?  From dreams, from the ether of possibility; perhaps even from some higher entity, though I doubt it.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What books have most inspired you?

Alex Stargazer:
Narnia.  It's brilliant.  Northern Lights is also a favourite.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Is there anything about writing you find most challenging?

Alex Stargazer:
The sweet tales of words unwritten are beautiful, but only those written can tell tales.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you think makes a good story?

Alex Stargazer:
Magic - be it the magic of the mages, the lovers, or of life.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Which, of all your characters, do you think is the most like you?

Alex Stargazer:
Neshvetal.  He's a megalomaniac Necromancer with a thirst for vengeance, and a tendency to kill people.  But he brings them back as undead slaves, so it's okay.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Why did you pick your particular genre?

Alex Stargazer:
Why did the cat eat the mouse?  Because that is nature, and that is fate.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What makes your book different from others out there in this genre?

Alex Stargazer:
Well, being able to write worth a damn helps.  You can also add flying zombies to the list.   They're my favourite.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What can we expect from you in the future?

Alex Stargazer:
Books.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Thanks for stopping by, Alex.  One more thing before you go - where can we find you?

Alex Stargazer:
My blog is the recommended venue; you may also check out my Goodreads page (just search Alex Stargazer).


About the book:
Linaera the Great 1: The Necromancer

Genre: Dark Fantasy, Young Adult
Publisher: Stargazer Industries Inc.
Publication date: 10.31.2014
Pages: 400

From the fires of deceit, he was reborn in ice.  His name bequeaths fear into the mighty, and death into the meek.
            Meet Neshvetal: a being of darkest magic - beautiful, powerful, and eternal.  Or so he thinks...

No comments: