Monday, February 9, 2015

AMONG THE STACKS: Aubrey Wynne


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Hello, Aubrey.  Thanks for being on The Gal today.  Welcome.  I really enjoyed your story in Love Least Expected - it was one of my two favorites. :)
            Let's start with something easy.  Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Aubrey Wynne:
I am a primary teacher and author who loves to read, travel and trail ride with my husband and horses.  I write contemporary and historical romance and also short stories.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are five things most people don't know about you?

Aubrey Wynne:
I am a humane investigator for horses.
I love black and white movies.
I own a mule along with a horse.
I am a closet Millionaire Matchmaker fan.
I had a ghost in my last home.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What is the first book you remember reading?

Aubrey Wynne:
The Trixie Belden Mysteries, followed by Nancy Drew.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are you reading now?

Aubrey Wynne:
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel and still finishing Christmas Cowboy by Janet Daley.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What made you decide you want to write?  When did you begin writing?

Aubrey Wynne:
I wrote a tribute to my grandfather in sixth grade and went to state with it.  I didn't think about it again until I was in my late 30s.  Then I saw a musketeers movie and it got me thinking...

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have a special place you like to write?

Aubrey Wynne:
My living room.  I have a huge picture window that looks out onto my front yard and a grove of trees.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have any quirks or processes that you go through when you write?

Aubrey Wynne:
I have a brainstorm with my sister.  We hash out a plot over a glass or two of wine.  Then I get started, and we usually revise it one more time.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Where do the ideas for your books come from?

Aubrey Wynne:
Oh gosh, real life is usually the premise for my contemporary romances.  Short stories come from contests, dreams or a conversation with someone.  Movies, songs and my travels provide the rest.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What books have most inspired you?

Aubrey Wynne:
Morning Glory by LaVyrie Spencer and The Velvet series by Jude Devereaux.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Is there anything about writing you find most challenging?

Aubrey Wynne:
Length.  I cannot write to a specific length.  I hate padded stories so I have to end my tale where it ends.  If that's not novel length, then so be it.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you think makes a good story?

Audrey Wynne:
A fast-paced plot, at least one good emotional scene and interesting main characters.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Which, of all your characters, do you think is the most like you?

Aubrey Wynne:
Jessy, in my upcoming cowboy romance.  She dates a cowboy just out of the circuit.  I drew much of that romance from real life.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Why did you pick your particular genre?

Aubrey Wynne:
I am a history geek and love to expand a story.  Taking real history and creating a fictional tale around it is the cat's meow for me.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What makes your books different from others out there in this genre?

Aubrey Wynne:
I like to mix just a touch of magic with a traditional story.  It adds a bit of mysticism but doesn't go over the top.  I like to have a moment in every plot where the reader covers their mouth or heart with their hand and gives a sigh.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What is in your "trunk?"

Aubrey Wynne:
I have a short story collection I'd like to finish about the oddball friends of my grandfather: Aubrey's Misfits.  He always befriended the outcasts of the country, much to my grandmother's dismay.
            Also, a story on my British stepfather, who was in WWII: The Nine Lives of Eric Merry.  He had so many close calls, he doesn't know how he survived the war.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What can we expect from you in the future?

Aubrey Wynne:
I have several more coming out in the Medieval Encounter series, a sweet contemporary romance in a proposal anthology in June, and a Second Time Around series beginning with the cowboy romance.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Thanks again for stopping by, Aubrey.  It was great having you.  
            One more thing before you go.  Where can we find you?

Aubrey Wynne:


A little more about the book:
When love drops in unexpected, the strangest things can happen.  Nine short stories from sweet to sultry, full of romance, magic and love from award winning and USA Today recommended authors.

Rolf's Quest by Aubrey Wynne
(historical romance)

3 comments:

aubreywynneauthor.com said...

Thank you so much for a lovely interview. You provided some fabulous questions.

Meghan H said...

You're welcome!! I like to know more about the author BEHIND the book. You had some great answers. :)

Michaela Miles said...

What a great interview, Aubrey! Thanks again Meghan :-) xx