Wednesday, February 11, 2015

AMONG THE STACKS: Kris Calvert


The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Hi, Kris.  Welcome to The Gal!!  It's been great getting to know you and some of your friends over the last couple of days.  Let's start off with something easy: Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Kris Calvert:
I'm a former PR and advertising executive who's been a closet novelist since college.  I have two talented children, both in college (University of Kentucky and New York University) and an amazing husband who happens to be a composer for film and television.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are five things most people don't know about you?

Kris Calvert:
  1. I write romantic suspense, but I love thrillers and scary plots.  Stephen King is a god to me and I'm planning on releasing my first thriller/scare-the-pants-off-the-reader book in 2015.
  2. I love to cook, but really love to bake.  If I didn't write, I'd open a cupcake store.
  3. I'm fascinated by Ancient Alien theorists.  I don't know if I believe everything they're saying, but I do find it really interesting.
  4. I trust my intuition completely - more so than reason.  If something doesn't feel right, I'm out.
  5. I have to write with music on.  It's usually classical or piano solos, but it helps to set the mood to write.
The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What are you reading now?

Kris Calvert:
I never read in the genre I'm writing so, as I work on the first book of a new paranormal series, I am reading Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What made you decide you want to write?  When did you begin writing?

Kris Calvert:
I began writing in college and it took my children leaving for college to do it full time and as a career.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have a special place you like to write?

Kris Calvert:
I have an office in my home that I've made my sacred place.  Because I've worked behind a desk most of my life, it is easiest for me to write at my desk, but late nights have taken me to a couch in the room to write when my back is tired, but my brain and fingers are still going.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Do you have any quirks or processes that you go through when you write?

Kris Calvert:
I listen to music, as I said before, and I use my headphones so I can drown out the world.  I also have a glass of sweet tea on my desk at all times.  I mean it is the South.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Where do the ideas for your books come from?

Kris Calvert:
I get ideas a couple different ways: I do 3 miles each day and that exercise time clears my head and I get some great ideas then.  I'm a firm believer that you write what you know so many of my ideas come from my own crazy life.  And finally research.  Because I come from a marketing background, I'm a research hound.  I'll be researching one subject that will reference another and I begin to get an ideas based on that.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What books have most inspired you?

Kris Calvert:
Too many to count and I read across so many genres, different authors and works have meant different things to me.  Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut (my favorite author) was the first book to really mean something to me.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Is there anything about writing you find most challenging?

Kris Calvert:
Deadlines.  Because creativity, at least for me, comes when it feels like it and not when I summon it.  Still, the deadline is a wonderful thing - especially when you have writer's block.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What do you think makes a good story?

Kris Calvert:
Characters.  I like being inside the head of the characters I'm reading so it's important for me to make sure my reader is there in my books.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Which, of all your characters, do you think is the most like you?

Kris Calvert:
Samantha Peterson Callahan from Sex, Lies & Sweet Tea and Sex, Lies & Lipstick.  She is a young widow.  I was once a young widow.  And I even held the same job she has in the book at one point in my life.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Why did you pick your particular genre?

Kris Calvert:
I love love stories and I love crazy thrillers.  Put them together and I get romantic suspense.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What makes your books different from others out there in this genre?

Kris Calvert:
My books are set in the South, which gives them a unique voice.  But I always like to sneak little pearls of wisdom in each book for people to take away.  I always want the reader to pause and think, I never thought of it that way before.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What is in your "trunk"?

Kris Calvert:
I just released a children's book, The Nocturns, in December under the name K.C. Pottorf (my married name).  It was a book I wrote twenty years ago for my own children.  It was a labor of love getting it out and I've been to lots of elementary schools to read to classes.  So you might say I emptied my "trunk" in 2014, but I have plans to continue writing one children's book a year.  It was completely gratifying.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
What can we expect from you in the future?

Kris Calvert:
I have a new series coming in 2015 about Angels.  I was inspired to write it this past summer when I sat with my ninety-nine year old grandmother who was dying.  I'll publish the next installment in the Sex/Lies series with Sex, Lies & Lace and I will also have a crazy-scary book out before the end of the year.

The Gal in the Blue Mask:
Thanks for stopping by, Kris.  I am very intrigued by this "crazy-scary book," so I'll definitely be keeping my eye out for that one, and the Angels series sounds interesting as well.  Good luck with both.
            One more thing before you go: Where can we find you?

Kris Calvert:


More about the book:
When love drops in unexpected, the strangest things can happen.  Nine short stories from sweet to sultry, full of romance, magic and love from award winning and USA Today recommended authors.

Roses Are Wrong, Violets Taboo by Kris Calvert
(southern romance)

5 comments:

Kris Calvert said...

Thanks so much for having me! I loved it! KC

Meghan H said...

You're welcome!! :)

aubreywynneauthor.com said...

Great interview. Thanks so much for spotlighting us.

Meghan H said...

Any time. Y'all are a very talented group of ladies and I loved having y'all here. :)

Michaela Miles said...

Another fabulous interview! Thanks Meghan :-) xx